Skip to content

Home Forums Other OT: Orwellian future on steriods

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
  • Should we run a national defense project to know how to do this – but emphasizing how to defend against. Part of the reasoning being that some rogue nation will decide to develop the tech covertly in spite of any ban. Keep in mind the issue of risks due to classified data leaks.
  • Should we outright ban them to try to prevent them because a lot of what rogue nations get, they get through ‘security leaks’ and ‘security compromise’.
  • Any other options (be realistic)?

This scenario is not as far fetched as you may think. In many cases it is just the further miniaturization of what we already have. Maybe a little more on my background to emphasize that I am not a tinfoil hat nut.

Started writing code in HS, freshman year. Was exposed to one of the first portable computers, an IBM 5100 – this would be early ’70s. Took summer high school acceleration courses at CalTech. By end of HS, was programming in APL, Basic and Fortran. Near perfect SAT score, two perfect AP test scores – math, physics. Started at UCSD as Physics-Engineering, 3rd year switched to EECE. Some work at SIO – various. From then on almost all DoD – including tracking, guidance, modeling and simulation.

I’m not trying to toot my own horn, just want to show that I am coming from the aspect of someone who has the knowledge to accomplish much of the ‘slaughterbot’ tech and I recognize that there are others as capable and knowledgeable. To me, the concept is very chilling and has bothered me for quite a while. I see both the allure and the extreme danger.

I know that on a ban, most of the truly democratic nations will tend to abide by the ban – but what about North Korea, China and Russia?

Thoughts?
    There is also a link for those who want to take action towards a ban: http://autonomousweapons.org/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.