It's a bad day for human beings

User Forum Topic
Submitted by zk on November 9, 2016 - 7:53am

President Donald Trump.

Jesus.

You idiots have gone and done it.

Dear trump voter,

You've been bamboozled. Tricked.

You're a chump. A fool.

You think he's going to build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it? You're a credulous buffoon.

You think he's going to "fix" Washington? "Drain the swamp?" You've been hoodwinked.

You think he's going to be able to deal effectively with foreign leaders? Especially ones that criticize him? You're a fool.

You think he's going to bring jobs back to America? You're deluded.

You think he's going to lead with any kind of common sense, even after all the things he's said and done? You're blind.

You think his threats to not pay our debts will have no effect? Think again.

You think his desire to throttle free speech when it insults him is a good thing? You'd probably "vote" for Mussolini.

You think his isolationist ideas will be good for America? Even if that did turn out to be true (highly doubtful), you're a selfish bastard.

You think his rhetoric on women and minorities and foreigners won't continue to have a corrosive effect on our society? You're deplorable.

You think he'll take any responsibility for his actions and mistakes when he hasn't done anything of the sort ever? You’re a credulous bumpkin.

You don't care that he didn't know Russia invaded Ukraine and didn't know what the nuclear triad is? You're ignorant.

He’s shown you virtually no detailed policy proposals, yet you think whatever he comes up with will be good for you? Jesus, that’s pathetic.

You think he's a good businessman? You're easily tricked. He started with millions of dollars and then cheated, lied, stole, declared bankruptcy, and still didn't make more than an index fund would've.

You don't care that he didn't release his tax returns? You are, pathetically, a pigeon in the thrall of a Barnum.

You don't care that he didn't pay hard-working people he had promised to pay? And you still think he's for the "little guy?" You're a patsy.

You're glad to have a president who thinks climate change is a Chinese hoax? Your children and your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren will pay for that.

You don’t care about all the misogynistic, xenophobic comments that he made? You’ve chosen a disastrous role model for your children and grandchildren and the results of that are your fault.

You think it's a good thing that he wants the military to follow orders from him even if they're illegal? You live in a fantasy world.

You think it’s ok to threaten to not honor our NATO obligations? You have made the world a more dangerous place.

You put in office a “man” who wants more countries to have nuclear weapons? You’ve added even more danger.

You gave the nuclear codes to a man who responds to every insult with an attack? My god, what the fuck is wrong with you?

You put in office a man who wants to kill the families of terrorists? You're a sorry excuse for a human being.

You think he cares about you or about this country or about anything but his fucked-up, orange self? You're a joke.

You're glad that idiots like you have been given a voice? You're about to find out just how much of an idiot you are and that you should have just shut the fuck up.

Submitted by moneymaker on November 9, 2016 - 8:04am.

He was elected by a minority of voters (48%) as I predicted.

Submitted by no_such_reality on November 9, 2016 - 8:46am.

.

Submitted by zk on November 9, 2016 - 9:28am.

moneymaker wrote:
He was elected by a minority of voters (48%) as I predicted.

And not even a plurality.

Submitted by zk on December 1, 2016 - 2:42pm.

Trump's election finally drove this home for me: Humans are idiots.

Did we really expect Americans to vote rationally? Only 19% of these idiots (Americans) believe in secular evolution (I doubt the statistic is much different in other countries). People believe what they want to believe (as that statistic clearly indicates), and no amount of facts, evidence, logic or reason will ever change that. One must be (I was) a chump to even try to reason with humans. You want to change somebody's mind? Do what trump did. Do what the right-wing noise machine has been doing for decades. Lie. Manipulate. Trick. Misdirect. Use innuendo. Brainwash. Appeal to their basest, most primitive instincts. I refuse to do that, and I know reason won't work, so I'm through trying to convince anybody of anything.

Humans, even most of the "smart" ones, are idiots, and reasoning with them won't work.

Submitted by no_such_reality on December 1, 2016 - 3:18pm.

They're childish too.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 1, 2016 - 5:11pm.

zk wrote:
Trump's election finally drove this home for me: Humans are idiots.

Did we really expect Americans to vote rationally? Only 19% of these idiots (Americans) believe in secular evolution (I doubt the statistic is much different in other countries). People believe what they want to believe (as that statistic clearly indicates), and no amount of facts, evidence, logic or reason will ever change that. One must be (I was) a chump to even try to reason with humans. You want to change somebody's mind? Do what trump did. Do what the right-wing noise machine has been doing for decades. Lie. Manipulate. Trick. Misdirect. Use innuendo. Brainwash. Appeal to their basest, most primitive instincts. I refuse to do that, and I know reason won't work, so I'm through trying to convince anybody of anything.

Humans, even most of the "smart" ones, are idiots, and reasoning with them won't work.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm done with the deplorables in the rust belt. They are irredeemable.

Look at the maps here. We need need to concentrate on the new economy. Let Trump take care of the old economy.
http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/201...

Submitted by zk on December 3, 2016 - 8:30am.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/us/pol...

Of course.

Our new president is a "bull in a nuclear China shop."

Wish I'd thought of that label. That's perfect. And it goes right along with my concern/prediction that the biggest danger of a President trump is nuclear confrontation, be it with us and North Korea, us and Russia, Pakistan and India, between any two countries, really, or even between us and terrorists.

The complexities and subtleties of international relationships are obviously beyond his grasp. The bigger problem is that he doesn't know that. If he knew it, he might take some advice. But, no, our president will buffoon his way around the world, flattening carefully constructed diplomatic relationships, exacerbating international frictions, and creating dangerous misunderstandings, all the while thinking he's doing a great job.

North Korea plays a very dangerous game which requires restraint, tact, and steady, contemplated responses on the part of the United States. That game has 10s of millions of lives at stake. Let's hope trump doesn't react to Kim Jong Un's bluster with the same kind of pathetic, thin-skinned, angry, unthinking, foolishness that he usually responds to insults with.

Given what he displayed on the campaign trail, this really wasn't that hard to see coming. No, wait. Apparently, for 62 million people, it was. Morons.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 22, 2016 - 6:01pm.

OMG, the locksmith who came out for the HOA is real Trump supporter. Nice guy I have to say. But man, so full of contradictions. Accused Obamacare for killing his senior parents. Thinks Obama will declare martial law and invite UN troops in.... oh man, i got an earful and I was quite entertained.

Submitted by XBoxBoy on December 23, 2016 - 9:13am.

zk wrote:
Our new president is a "bull in a nuclear China shop."

And now he tweets: "The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes."

Yup, "bull in a nuclear China shop" seems to fit.

Submitted by flu on December 23, 2016 - 10:04am.

I was making this joke to a friend...Regarding tensions between China and Trump over trade....China is really just overthinking how to solve the problem....

If China really wants to bargain with the Trump adminstration.... all they need to do is spend about $22 billion USD and....

Buy twitter, shut down Trump's account ,and threaten to ban him for life....

Then again, we might end up going to war with China...over Twitter....

Submitted by harvey on December 23, 2016 - 10:58am.

Goddamn, that is genius.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on December 23, 2016 - 11:22am.

flu wrote:
I was making this joke to a friend...Regarding tensions between China and Trump over trade....China is really just overthinking how to solve the problem....

If China really wants to bargain with the Trump adminstration.... all they need to do is spend about $22 billion USD and....

Buy twitter, shut down Trump's account ,and threaten to ban him for life....

Then again, we might end up going to war with China...over Twitter....

That is genius..... but why would China bother risking war? Let the USA get bogged down in the Middle East while they lead on major trade alliances and make tons more money.

Since 2001, the US pettry much stagnated while China prospered. I just rented my condo to 2 Chinese students. Each have a brand new BMW.

Waiting to see Trump's secret plan on Syria and Islamic terrorism.

Submitted by zk on December 23, 2016 - 12:03pm.

I agree, this is genius:

flu wrote:

Buy twitter, shut down Trump's account ,and threaten to ban him for life....

cue flu chuckling maniacally, then crescendoing to manical laughter

Submitted by flu on December 23, 2016 - 12:32pm.

But seriously... at $16/share, maybe I should buy twitter shares. I mean, I don't believe in their business model... But part of me thinks they won't ever go under....

I mean, it's the President's primary way of communicating to the american people.... It's not going anywhere....

Thoughts?

Submitted by zk on December 23, 2016 - 6:26pm.

This is one of the things his constant lying and erratic tweeting gets us:

“We’re just operating in this world where you cannot believe the things he says,” said Eliot Cohen, a foreign policy expert and former George W. Bush administration official at the State Department. “It will have large consequences for our allies and our adversaries, and it’s going to greatly magnify the danger of miscalculation by all kinds of people.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...

Absolutely pathetic. What a loser. Could you trump voters really not see this coming?

Submitted by zk on December 23, 2016 - 6:24pm.

Even as a would-be authoritarian strongman he's lame:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassi...

He attacked the CIA when they said something he didn't like. What a surprise. That won't help anybody, let alone him. What a pathetic loser.

He's not even president yet, and he's already fucking up in major ways. Could you trump voters really not see this coming?

Submitted by spdrun on December 23, 2016 - 7:59pm.
Submitted by zk on January 1, 2017 - 12:46am.

Trump tweet:

"Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!"

This is our president, for god's sake. How is anybody going to have any respect for a person who says such things?

You idiots have elected a child. And a douchebag loser child, at that.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 1, 2017 - 11:46am.

zk wrote:
Trump tweet:

"Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!"

This is our president, for god's sake. How is anybody going to have any respect for a person who says such things?

You idiots have elected a child. And a douchebag loser child, at that.

ZK, i was talking to a liberal friend who said we need to consider the reasons the deplorables voted for Trump. His parents are deplorables.

My reaction was "are you kidding me, that will just enable them".

Enabling the deplorables is not the solution; and being diplomatic while they spew out vile shit is worse. We need to treat the deplorable like we treated the Societ Union with cultural and economic superiority. Let them fall behind and suffer under Trump and eventually they will come crawling.

Submitted by zk on January 2, 2017 - 9:29am.

FlyerInHi wrote:

ZK, i was talking to a liberal friend who said we need to consider the reasons the deplorables voted for Trump. His parents are deplorables.

My reaction was "are you kidding me, that will just enable them".

Enabling the deplorables is not the solution; and being diplomatic while they spew out vile shit is worse. We need to treat the deplorable like we treated the Societ Union with cultural and economic superiority. Let them fall behind and suffer under Trump and eventually they will come crawling.

Not sure how I feel about your plan, but I disagree that they'll ever "come crawling." The right-wing noise machine will have them convinced either that they're doing great because of trump and the republicans in congress (even as they're drowning) or that it's all liberals' fault that they're drowning.

The last 30 years of right-wing propaganda has their heads so full of bs and rabid, insane hatred of liberals that they'd die before they'd come crawling to liberals. I mean that quite literally.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 2, 2017 - 10:05am.

ZK, they are already coming crawling that's why they're angry. Their pride has been hurt.

It's like the Russian or the Chinese. They want to live like us, but their media is fanning anti-Americanism. Granted, we are arrogant in our superiority which is not helpful. But the best is entitled to self-confidence.

They are coming crawling in terms of electric cars, solar and renewable energy, gay marriage.... at least the smart ones are.

And as far as the dumb deplorables, fuck them. Let fracking polute their drinking water while we enjoy low energy prices. Let them become opiate addicted without health insurance. Let's enjoy the life of the coastal elites and not worry about the deplorables.

Of course, as nice people, we welcome all immigrants, foreign and domestic. I don't really care what goes on in the red states. But the people who immigrate to California (or big cities like Atlanta or Dallas) are coming crawling.

Submitted by zk on January 2, 2017 - 11:47am.

FlyerInHi wrote:

Of course, as nice people, we welcome all immigrants, foreign and domestic. ... I don't really care what goes on in the red states.

Those seem contradictory. If we're nice people, we care what goes on in the red states.

You seem to want to believe that coastal elites and immigrants are superior to red staters. That is contradictory to your claim of being a nice person. Humans are humans, and, to a very large extent they have what they have, both materially and culturally, due to where and when and under what circumstances they were born. Don't be so sure you wouldn't be a trump-votin' redneck if you were born in an Alabama trailer park to a gun-totin', confederate-flag-wavin' pick up truck-drivin' daddy and a church-goin', fox news-watchin' breitbart-readin' mama. Daddy and mama have been regurgitating the propaganda they see on tv to you your whole life. All your friends and neighbors (and probably your governor and your senators and your congressman) hate Obama and liberals and gun-taking-away Clintons. All your life you’ve been told government is the enemy. Government is keeping us down. Godless poindexters trying to tell you how to live your life. You sure you'd bust right out of that and head for the coast and start dressing fancy and drinking lattes and voting for Sanders? Probably you wouldn't, maybe you would. But your average person, and even most smarter-than-average people, wouldn't. Not because they're bad people. Because they are who they are and have what they have largely due to when and where and in what circumstances they were born.

The problem isn’t the people of the red states. They’re human beings same as the rest of us, and they are who they are mostly due to circumstance. The problem is that they’ve been emotionally manipulated (mostly by the right-wing noise machine) for over a generation. The problem is that the manipulators get away with it.

Sure, I call trump voters idiots. And I do believe that they are. But that doesn't mean that they're different from or worse than most humans. Most humans are idiots in that they believe what they want to believe rather than what they can see with their own eyes. Most humans are idiots in that it's easy to manipulate them to want to believe (and therefore to believe) whatever you (the manipulator) want them to believe.

I wouldn't know how to go about changing or eliminating that manipulation. But, if you are a nice person and you want to help people, the way to go about helping people in red states, in my opinion, would be to do something about the manipulation that makes people vote against their own interests (if you can figure out a way to do that).

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 2, 2017 - 12:19pm.

ZK, i agree.

I'm just being the opposite of the deplorables. You're better than me in that you're kind and understanding.

I just feel that sometimes you have to walk away from hopeless situations and not bother. I only have so much compassion and i prefer to reserve it for people who deserve it (in the same vain as the deplorables who are driven by opposition to people they perceive as underserving).

And you're right, we are humans, and my attitude makes me the same as the deplorables. But such is the fate of humans.

As far as getting rid of manipulation, it's all about education. Good parents would want their kids to learn and better themselves. But deplorables don't want science and modernity for their kids. They want god and guns, and ignorance.

In contrast, I have met many immigrant parents. My new cleaning lady is Cuban. She doesn't speak English but all she wants is a good education for her son. I respect that and I have more compassion for her family than deplorables who have many more advantages but are angry and riled but by Fox News.

To people who want it "like it is" we should say "if you're feeling disrespected, there's a reason for that." That's the language they speak and the one they understand.

Submitted by Rich Toscano on January 2, 2017 - 1:27pm.

Excellent post, zk....

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 2, 2017 - 1:48pm.

ZK, did you read Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance? I just ordered it.

JD Vance believes that hillbilly culture is deplorable and it's not a structural problem of poverty. So I guess, it's a matter of personal responsibility and pulling themselves up by the bootstraps. It's up to the hillbillies to reject their own culture and seek enlightenment like the author did.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/boo...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/opi...

Submitted by JerseyGrl on January 2, 2017 - 4:17pm.

....."But deplorables don't want science and modernity for their kids. They want god and guns, and ignorance."

Some do, not all.

Vance was on Face the Nation yesterday, along with a group of diverse, young guests. I wasn't familiar with his book but I'm going to check my library for it.

My dad grew up in Appalachia (eastern PA/coal mines). After the Army he never went back. There were (are) no jobs there. The people who stay in these little towns and villages are often too frightened to leave. They cling to their "culture" (clans) and succumb to welfare and drug addiction. They don't trust the government but they'll take the check each month. If they voted for Trump and think he'll bring them jobs they will be disappointed.

Submitted by harvey on January 2, 2017 - 5:27pm.

JerseyGrl wrote:
My dad grew up in Appalachia (eastern PA/coal mines). After the Army he never went back. There were (are) no jobs there. The people who stay in these little towns and villages are often too frightened to leave. They cling to their "culture" (clans) and succumb to welfare and drug addiction. They don't trust the government but they'll take the check each month. If they voted for Trump and think he'll bring them jobs they will be disappointed.

The stereotype is rooted in reality.

I grew up in coal country just outside Appalachia and also spent some years of my youth in the industrial valleys of Youngstown and Pittsburgh.

I'm proud to say that my rust-belt kin did not fall for the Trump snake oil, but of course many others there did.

There is a tremendous nostalgia in these places for the past, but I doubt that many Trump voters in these regions truly believe that he or anyone will bring back industry as it was. They all know.

The mines are completely gone, many of them because there is simply no coal left. The mills are gone as well, replaced by shopping centers or empty tracts of toxic land. It would take decades of massive investment to build anything close to the economy that existed in the 1970s.

Even if it could be fixed, Trump cannot do it in four years - everybody knows that. He can't do it in eight years either and there is no successor to this new messiah. He is one of a kind.

Ultimately the rust-belt Trump supporters all know that he won't fix anything. They chose him out of spite. Like Michael Moore said, he simply represents a big "fuck you" to the institutions that many believe stole their prosperity.

We may pay a high price for this expression of defiance. And if the rust-belt bears the brunt of that price, I won't pity them.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 3, 2017 - 10:59am.

harvey wrote:

They chose him out of spite. Like Michael Moore said, he simply represents a big "fuck you" to the institutions that many believe stole their prosperity.

We may pay a high price for this expression of defiance. And if the rust-belt bears the brunt of that price, I won't pity them.

I agree that the Trump vote is out of spite.

Before I say more, let me try to adhere to high intellectual standards exhibited by ZK. Sure, the country is diverse; there are people of all stripes all over. Generalizing about rust belt deplorables is simplistic. But those people are the incremental voters who swung the electoral college for Trump.

Those guys have some gall. They want to tear us down because their time is past.

They are too good for public policy (Bill Clinton had our own "emerging market" policy that went nowhere) or government help. Yet, they feel condescended to by "coastal elites" who want to help. Who's too mighty for assistance and compassion here?

Furthermore, those guys feel that there are no structural problems of poverty. The solution is just more bootstrapping and deregulation. Does it ever occur to them that their lands were developed because of government policy?

Even their own kin who made it to wealth and power (politician, business people and intellectuals) are against any policy that would bring economic development. Bootstrapping and free markets, they say. The free markets will magically bring back prosperity.

Ok, then. They shall have what they want. Give it to them like it is. And more bootstrapping, of course. Failure then becomes failure of the individuals. Ok good, we, coastal liberals, can wash our hands of responsibility. Sayonara, arrivederci. Fancy globalist that I'm am, I'm going to have a latte and then Pad Pak Ruam (mixed veggies) for lunch.

Submitted by FlyerInHi on January 5, 2017 - 9:58am.

ZK,Interesting article, if you have not yet read.

81% of white evangelicals voted for Trump. Yeah, he's so godly.
We should treat them like Trump treats everyone, so they get a taste of what they voted for.

There should be a movement to boycott red areas. I'd rather go to Mexico than flyover America.

I will not forgive Trump supporters. They are like apartheid South Africans, or southern segregationists. This generation must live in shame until they die. Only the next generation will be forgiven; and even then, they will bear some residual shame.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/soc...

Submitted by zk on January 17, 2017 - 3:35pm.

This article was written 5 years ago. It's only gotten worse since then.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2012/03/20/...

In it, the author says,

"The ideal citizen of a politically corrupt state...is a gullible dolt unable to tell truth from bullshit."

And

"The hucksters, who manipulate them for the powerful financial interests, know that they can be made to believe anything, because, to the ignorant and the bigoted, lies always sound better than truth:

Christians are persecuted in this country.
The government is coming to get your guns.
Obama is a Muslim.
Global Warming is a hoax.
The president is forcing open homosexuality on the military.
Schools push a left-wing agenda.
Social Security is an entitlement, no different from welfare.
Obama hates white people.
The life on earth is 10,000 years old and so is the universe.
The safety net contributes to poverty.
The government is taking money from you and giving it to sex-crazed college women to pay for their birth control.

One could easily list many more such commonplace delusions believed by Americans. They are kept in circulation by hundreds of right-wing political and religious media outlets whose function is to fabricate an alternate reality for their viewers and their listeners."

I'm not going to say all trump voters are racist or bad people. But I do think that virtually all of them are "gullible dolt[s] unable to tell truth from bullshit."

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.