September 14, 2019 at 6:51 PM #22745HelloImaMacParticipant
Our kids go to a private school in Clairemont and we live in Del Sur that is part of Poway Unified school district. This is a conscious choice we have made as working parents (not sending to public school – due to our work constraints etc.).
What are the pros/cons I should keep in mind , regarding the area, when moving to Clairemont ? Here are some I can think of –
Pros (of moving to Clairemont):
1) proximity to school
2) no mello roos
3) cut down on drive time
4) no nanny cost
5) price/per sq ft. is cheaper in Clairemont than in Del Sur
6) low interest rate
7) Clairemont centrally located..
Cons: (of moving to Clairemont from Del Sur)
1) Poorer school district that might affect the future sale of the home we are considering to buy
2) Not as a nice area as Del Sur (Del Sur is a master planned community)
3) not sure if the home prices might hold up during the next recession that might be around the corner
4) crime ?
5) larger home debt due to higher purchase price
Any other criterion to consider ? Please let me know your thoughts regarding this move we are contemplating. Timeline is probably 8-12 years(we dont flip homes)
After some further analysis, we feel that we have paid mello roos for long enough in Del Sur and have not reaped public school benefits for the past 12 years (yikes!). With a few more hundred dollars a month as monthly payment (than what we are paying in Del Sur), we are considering a relatively brand new house in Clairemont which is about 37% more expensive than the home in Del Sur. so bang for the buck in Clairemont..
Also read this article which puts many things in perspective – https://www.pcasd.com/content/san-diego-housing-measuring-valuations-role-rates-and-whether-buy-now
Please let me know your thoughts
- The forum ‘Properties or Areas’ is closed to new topics and replies.