July 21, 2006 at 12:57 PM #6954powaysellerParticipant
State of California July 21, 2006
EMPLOYMENT DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Labor Market Information Division Contact: Cheryl Mason
8977 Activity Rd., Suite A (858) 689-6544
San Diego, CA 92126
SAN DIEGO-CARLSBAD-SAN MARCOS METROPOLITAN STATISTICAL AREA
(SAN DIEGO COUNTY)
San Diego adds 7,400 jobs over the month; 18,100 over the year
The unemployment rate in San Diego County was 4.2 percent in June 2006, up from 3.7 percent in May 2006, but below the year-ago estimate of 4.5 percent. This compares with an unadjusted unemployment rate of 4.9 percent for California and 4.8 percent for the nation during the same period.
Between May 2006 and June 2006, nonfarm wage and salary employment in San Diego County rose by 7,400 jobs to reach 1,308,600 jobs.
• The largest job gain occurred in leisure and hospitality, which grew by 2,600 jobs. Approximately 60 percent of the growth occurred in accommodation and food services and 40 percent in arts, entertainment and recreation.
• Construction expanded by 1,400 jobs, with gains concentrated in the specialty trade sector where many electricians, carpenters and other trades are classified.
• Trade, transportation and utilities added 1,100 jobs over the month. Almost all of the job gain occurred in retail trade, led by advances in clothing and clothing accessories stores.
• Manufacturing added 300 jobs after declining during the three previous months. The increase was due to hiring in computer and electronic product manufacturing and miscellaneous manufacturing.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.