OT-Why Did CIA Director Petraeus Suddenly Resign … And Why Was the U.S. Ambassador to Libya Murdered?

User Forum Topic
Submitted by sjk on November 10, 2012 - 10:42pm

Good information in this piece......it seems to make sense.

Regards,

The link has more data: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/11/w...

The Deeper Questions Behind the Ambassador’s Murder … and the CIA Boss’ Sudden Resignation

While the GOP is attacking (and Dems defending) the Obama administration in connection with the murder of the U.S. ambassador to Libya, there is a deeper story.

Sure, it is stunning that the State Department never requested backup or that people such as Lieutenant Colonel Anthony Shaffer allege that President Obama personally watched in real time the attacks as they occurred via video feeds from drones flying over the Benghazi consulate.

But these claims only can be assessed – and the whole confusing mess only makes sense – if the deeper underlying story is first exposed.

Many Syrian Terrorists Come from Libya

The U.S. supported opposition which overthrew Libya’s Gadaffi was largely comprised of Al Qaeda terrorists.

According to a 2007 report by West Point’s Combating Terrorism Center’s center, the Libyan city of Benghazi was one of Al Qaeda’s main headquarters – and bases for sending Al Qaeda fighters into Iraq – prior to the overthrow of Gaddafi:

Al Qaeda is now largely in control of Libya. Indeed, Al Qaeda flags were flown over the Benghazi courthouse once Gaddafi was toppled.

(Incidentally, Gaddafi was on the verge of invading Benghazi in 2011, 4 years after the West Point report cited Benghazi as a hotbed of Al Qaeda terrorists. Gaddafi claimed – rightly it turns out – that Benghazi was an Al Qaeda stronghold and a main source of the Libyan rebellion. But NATO planes stopped him, and protected Benghazi.)

CNN, the Telegraph, the Washington Times, and many other mainstream sources confirm that Al Qaeda terrorists from Libya have since flooded into Syria to fight the Assad regime.

Mainstream sources also confirm that the Syrian opposition is largely comprised of Al Qaeda terrorists. See this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this and this.

The U.S. has been arming the Syrian opposition since 2006. The post-Gaddafi Libyan government is also itself a top funder and arms supplier of the Syrian opposition.

The Real Story At Benghazi

This brings us to the murder of ambassador Stevens and the sudden resignation of CIA boss David Petraeus.

The Wall Street Journal, Telegraph and other sources confirm that the US consulate in Benghazi was mainly being used for a secret CIA operation.

They say that the State Department presence in Benghazi “provided diplomatic cover” for the previously hidden CIA mission.

Reuters notes that the CIA mission involved finding and repurchasing heavy weaponry looted from Libyan government arsenals.

Business Insider reports that Stevens may have been linked with Syrian terrorists:

There’s growing evidence that U.S. agents—particularly murdered ambassador Chris Stevens—were at least aware of heavy weapons moving from Libya to jihadist Syrian rebels.

In March 2011 Stevens became the official U.S. liaison to the al-Qaeda-linked Libyan opposition, working directly with Abdelhakim Belhadj of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group—a group that has now disbanded, with some fighters reportedly participating in the attack that took Stevens’ life.

In November 2011 The Telegraph reported that Belhadj, acting as head of the Tripoli Military Council, “met with Free Syrian Army [FSA] leaders in Istanbul and on the border with Turkey” in an effort by the new Libyan government to provide money and weapons to the growing insurgency in Syria.

Last month The Times of London reported that a Libyan ship “carrying the largest consignment of weapons for Syria … has docked in Turkey.” The shipment reportedly weighed 400 tons and included SA-7 surface-to-air anti-craft missiles and rocket-propelled grenades.

***

Reuters reports that Syrian rebels have been using those heavy weapons to shoot down Syrian helicopters and fighter jets.

The ship’s captain was ”a Libyan from Benghazi and the head of an organization called the Libyan National Council for Relief and Support,” which was presumably established by the new government.

That means that Ambassador Stevens had only one person—Belhadj—between himself and the Benghazi man who brought heavy weapons to Syria.

Furthermore, we know that jihadists are the best fighters in the Syrian opposition, but where did they come from?

Last week The Telegraph reported that a FSA commander called them “Libyans” when he explained that the FSA doesn’t “want these extremist people here.”

And if the new Libyan government was sending seasoned Islamic fighters and 400 tons of heavy weapons to Syria through a port in southern Turkey—a deal brokered by Stevens’ primary Libyan contact during the Libyan revolution—then the governments of Turkey and the U.S. surely knew about it.

Furthermore there was a CIA post in Benghazi, located 1.2 miles from the U.S. consulate, used as “a base for, among other things, collecting information on the proliferation of weaponry looted from Libyan government arsenals, including surface-to-air missiles” … and that its security features “were more advanced than those at rented villa where Stevens died.”

And we know that the CIA has been funneling weapons to the rebels in southern Turkey. The question is whether the CIA has been involved in handing out the heavy weapons from Libya.

In other words, ambassador Stevens may have been a key player in deploying Libyan terrorists and arms to fight the Syrian government.

Other sources also claim that the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was mainly being used as a CIA operation to ship fighters and arms to Syria.

Many have speculated that – if normal security measures weren’t taken to protect the Benghazi consulate or to rescue ambassador Stevens – it was because the CIA was trying to keep an extremely low profile to protect its cover of being a normal State Department operation.

Why Did CIA Chief David Petraeus Suddenly Resign?

CIA boss David Petraeus suddenly resigned, admitting to an affair. This could be the real explanation, given that affairs of high-level intelligence chiefs could compromise national security.

But the timing of Petraeus’ resignation becomes more interesting once one learns that that he was scheduled to testify under oath next week before power House and Senate committees regarding the Benghazi consulate.

Many speculate that it wasn’t an affair – but the desire to avoid testifying on Benghazi – which was the real reason for Petraeus’ sudden resignation.

The Big Picture

Whatever the scope of the CIA’s operation in Benghazi – and whatever the real reason for the resignation of the CIA chief – the key is our historical and ongoing foreign policy.

For decades, the U.S. has backed terrorists for geopolitical ends.

The U.S. government has been consistently planning regime change in Syria and Libya for 20 years, and dreamed of regime change – using false flag terror – for 50 years.

Obama has simply re-packaged Bush and the Neocons’ “war on terror” as a series of humanitarian wars.

And the U.S. and its allies will do anything to topple Iran … and is systematically attempting to pull the legs out from Iran’s allies as a way to isolate and weaken that country.

Americans should ask ourselves if that’s what we want …

Submitted by CA renter on November 11, 2012 - 2:26am.

Gee, the U.S. involved in covert operations dedicated to overturning (often democratically-elected) governments so that we can install our own U.S./U.K.-friendly governments who then allow us/our corporations to exploit their natural resources and control foreign ports and waterways, etc. Say it ain't so!

Submitted by EconProf on November 11, 2012 - 8:26am.

I am usually skeptical of conspiracy theories, especially sweeping and detailed accounts like this one. However, it has a ring of credibility to it, especially in how it fills in a lot of blank spaces in our understanding of the Bengazi incident. It appears that now that the election is over, a lot of political and economic coverups will be unmasked--too late, unfortunately.

Submitted by Blogstar on November 11, 2012 - 10:34am.

Again, why can't they make him testify as the former CIA director? In some format anyway.
Because no one really wants him to talk?

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 11, 2012 - 2:53pm.

is it just me, or is it unreasonable to promote a guy to his rank whose name sounds so much like "betray-us"?

Submitted by sjk on November 11, 2012 - 5:50pm.

EconProf wrote:
I am usually skeptical of conspiracy theories, especially sweeping and detailed accounts like this one. However, it has a ring of credibility to it, especially in how it fills in a lot of blank spaces in our understanding of the Bengazi incident. It appears that now that the election is over, a lot of political and economic coverups will be unmasked--too late, unfortunately.

:-)

Submitted by Jazzman on November 12, 2012 - 1:15am.

I can go along with funneling arms to Syria and wishing to keep quiet about it, not that the Russians wouldn't find out and tell all. But to sacrifice a high ranking official? I also can't see a strong connection with the resignation of the CIA chief. If deception is one of the tools of their trade, wouldn't denying any involvement be fairly routine? And sacrificing yet another highly regarded professional? That's a big price to pay and a huge gamble IMO that it wouldn't come out anyway.

More important I believe is the lack of support for the Syrian cause. We are led to believe this is due to the complex mix of elements involved. When has that stopped the US in the past? And if it is the case, then the fact the US is using its enemy (as the above suggests), would be fanning the flames they appear so eager to avoid doing? I think the key here is probably Iran, and a confrontation the US doesn't want right now.

Submitted by ocrenter on November 12, 2012 - 8:37am.

EconProf wrote:
I am usually skeptical of conspiracy theories, especially sweeping and detailed accounts like this one. However, it has a ring of credibility to it, especially in how it fills in a lot of blank spaces in our understanding of the Bengazi incident. It appears that now that the election is over, a lot of political and economic coverups will be unmasked--too late, unfortunately.

this is a very typical reaction when there are a lot of blank spaces and distrust.

just like the Pakistani general sentiment that Osama is not really dead and the whole thing is a US conspiracy.

Submitted by scaredyclassic on November 12, 2012 - 11:54am.
Submitted by Blogstar on November 12, 2012 - 1:04pm.

How on earth did this guy think he would not get caught? I don't care about people having affairs, but this guy should know he is being watched!

Submitted by Zeitgeist on November 12, 2012 - 1:56pm.

“Curiouser and curiouser!” "During a question-and-answer session, Broadwell was asked about this year’s Sept. 11 attacks against the U.S. mission in Benghazi. She stated: 'Now I don’t know if a lot of you heard this, but the CIA annex had actually had taken a couple of Libya militia members prisoner. And they think that the attack on the consulate was an effort to try to get these prisoners back. So that’s still being vetted.'”

http://www.wnd.com/2012/11/did-petraeus-...

Submitted by no_such_reality on November 13, 2012 - 11:07am.

Curiouser and curiouser not so much, more like seedy love quadrangle.

30000 pages of emails? holy bat sh*t.
FBI leaping to investigation on a marginally harrassing email.
Shirtless FBI agents

Good to know the FBI is running on a who you know basis and the military commanders have time for 30,000 pages of personal emails.

Submitted by Blogstar on November 13, 2012 - 12:26pm.

Now the issues are buried in the circus....again.

Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 13, 2012 - 8:45pm.

Blogstar wrote:
Now the issues are buried in the circus....again.

Russ: I'm waiting for the revelation that Jill Kelly nee Khawam is actually part of s Hezbollah sleeper cell. Her twin sister, Natalie, was also cozy with diplomats and ranking military officers and they from a family that emigrated to the US from Lebanon during the Lebanese civil war.

This all smells way too fishy to be mere coincidence.

Submitted by SK in CV on November 13, 2012 - 9:00pm.

Allan from Fallbrook wrote:
Blogstar wrote:
Now the issues are buried in the circus....again.

Russ: I'm waiting for the revelation that Jill Kelly nee Khawam is actually part of s Hezbollah sleeper cell. Her twin sister, Natalie, was also cozy with diplomats and ranking military officers and they from a family that emigrated to the US from Lebanon during the Lebanese civil war.

This all smells way too fishy to be mere coincidence.

I'm not sure what you think the coincidence is. The likelihood of Maronite Christians being involved with Hezbollah is a bit unlikely. Kind of like a Jew joining Al Queda.

Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 13, 2012 - 10:26pm.

SK: I was being tongue-in-cheek there and mainly based on how freaking weird this whole story is (and continues to be.)

Of course, if the Khawams had been turned we both know which intelligence operation would have done it: Mossad. Not kidding on this. Mossad and the Phalangists and the Maronites go way back.

You have to admit, this situation is getting weirder by the day and I have the sense more revelations are forthcoming.

Submitted by SK in CV on November 13, 2012 - 10:37pm.

Allan from Fallbrook wrote:
SK: I was being tongue-in-cheek there and mainly based on how freaking weird this whole story is (and continues to be.)

Of course, if the Khawams had been turned we both know which intelligence operation would have done it: Mossad. Not kidding on this. Mossad and the Phalangists and the Maronites go way back.

You have to admit, this situation is getting weirder by the day and I have the sense more revelations are forthcoming.

Yeah, it's getting bizarre. Maybe the most bizarre that I've read is amidst the allegations of too sexy texts between Allen and Kelley is the report of 20 to 30 thousand pages of emails. The sexy texts get the headlines. But 20,000 pages of emails? WTF?

(and yes, Mossad is much more likely, though without a shred of evidence, it's nothing more than a racial slur.)

Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 13, 2012 - 11:23pm.

SK: Kinda makes you wonder when they had anytime to do their jobs.

Didn't mean the Mossad comment as any sort of racial slur, rather, I meant it as though I wouldn't be surprised, especially given the close ties that the Mossad has maintained with the Lebanese Christian factions (anyone remember Sabra and Shatila?) over the years.

Combine that with the success that Israel has had penetrating US military and intelligence agencies and how interested they undoubtedly are in US intentions regarding Iran and I think one could definitely make a case. We are talking about the highest levels of the US military command structure here and the fact that a huge amount of classified information mysteriously wound up on a civilian's computer.

Submitted by Blogstar on November 14, 2012 - 12:21am.

I haven't be following so closely, Allan. My guess is that this all doesn't go too far beyond the tabloid stuff. Maybe some misappropriation of funds for the "volunteer hostesses"? Any interrogation of Petraeus on Libya will be for show, hand washing and grandstanding purposes.

Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 14, 2012 - 1:40am.

Blogstar wrote:
I haven't be following so closely, Allan. My guess is that this all doesn't go too far beyond the tabloid stuff. Maybe some misappropriation of funds for the "volunteer hostesses"? Any interrogation of Petraeus on Libya will be for show, hand washing and grandstanding purposes.

Russ: I'm sure you're right, but it's fun to spin out some possible scenarios. I thought Petraeus had more on the ball, but he's probably cut from the same cloth as those morons Tommy Franks and Ricardo Sanchez. Best army in the world and it's led by incompetent ass kissers.

I just finished a good book you might enjoy called "The Revenge of Geography" by Robert Kaplan. It'll confirm quite a few of your views of the

Submitted by SK in CV on November 14, 2012 - 7:50am.

Allan from Fallbrook wrote:
SK: Kinda makes you wonder when they had anytime to do their jobs.

Didn't mean the Mossad comment as any sort of racial slur, rather, I meant it as though I wouldn't be surprised, especially given the close ties that the Mossad has maintained with the Lebanese Christian factions (anyone remember Sabra and Shatila?) over the years.

Combine that with the success that Israel has had penetrating US military and intelligence agencies and how interested they undoubtedly are in US intentions regarding Iran and I think one could definitely make a case. We are talking about the highest levels of the US military command structure here and the fact that a huge amount of classified information mysteriously wound up on a civilian's computer.

I think you misunderstood. The racial slur is spontaneously making the connection between Kelley's ME heritage and her being a spy, irrespective of who she's accused of working for. It was making the rounds as early as a couple days ago.

And having enough time to do their jobs was exactly why I mentioned the 20,000 pages. Even if every email and response and response to the response gets printed over and over again, that's a lot of content over a pretty short period. Particularly for a guy that's supposed to be running a war.

Submitted by no_such_reality on November 14, 2012 - 8:57am.

Blogstar wrote:
I haven't be following so closely, Allan. My guess is that this all doesn't go too far beyond the tabloid stuff. Maybe some misappropriation of funds for the "volunteer hostesses"? Any interrogation of Petraeus on Libya will be for show, hand washing and grandstanding purposes.

Actually, it goes far beyond the tabloid stuff.

The Petreaus -Kelley thing is likely just tabloid stuff being conveniently used to distract from whatever the real story is...

The media is spun in a frenzy and looking for the cigar moment, meanwhile, what part of Rome is burning?

Submitted by enron_by_the_sea on November 14, 2012 - 11:11am.

Allan from Fallbrook wrote:
I thought Petraeus had more on the ball, but he's probably cut from the same cloth as those morons Tommy Franks and Ricardo Sanchez. Best army in the world and it's led by incompetent ass kissers.

We did have a certain general Eric Shinseki who refused to "kiss ass" and look what happened to his military career!

Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 14, 2012 - 3:48pm.

enron_by_the_sea wrote:
Allan from Fallbrook wrote:
I thought Petraeus had more on the ball, but he's probably cut from the same cloth as those morons Tommy Franks and Ricardo Sanchez. Best army in the world and it's led by incompetent ass kissers.

We did have a certain general Eric Shinseki who refused to "kiss ass" and look what happened to his military career!

Enron: Exactly right. Shinseki had the temerity to suggest that 500,000 troops were necessary for Iraq to be a success and he was unceremoniously shown the door.

I had a buddy who worked intel for 4th ID and he told me that they were told, in no uncertain terms, to NOT submit any reports deemed "counterproductive" to the war effort. Being a former Ranger, he, along with many other line officers, quickly realized that Iraq was predominantly a counterinsurgency operation, but Rumsfeld and the Corporation (Pentagon) didn't want to hear that, and insisted that the ground war could be prosecuted with Big Iron (like 4th ID).

The sad fact is that Rumsfeld should have known better, given his experiences during Vietnam.

I remembering watching Stan McChrystal beclown himself during the Rolling Stone interview and wondering what the hell happened to the US Army general officer class. It now sadly appears obvious.

Submitted by Blogstar on November 14, 2012 - 6:22pm.

no_such_reality wrote:
Blogstar wrote:
I haven't be following so closely, Allan. My guess is that this all doesn't go too far beyond the tabloid stuff. Maybe some misappropriation of funds for the "volunteer hostesses"? Any interrogation of Petraeus on Libya will be for show, hand washing and grandstanding purposes.

Actually, it goes far beyond the tabloid stuff.

The Petreaus -Kelley thing is likely just tabloid stuff being conveniently used to distract from whatever the real story is...

The media is spun in a frenzy and looking for the cigar moment, meanwhile, what part of Rome is burning?

I agree, and that's why my earlier comment mentioned circuses. I was just telling Allan that I believe ,regardless of how rotten things are in Denmark, that there will not be any incisive inquiries.

Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 14, 2012 - 6:42pm.

Blogstar wrote:
no_such_reality wrote:
Blogstar wrote:
I haven't be following so closely, Allan. My guess is that this all doesn't go too far beyond the tabloid stuff. Maybe some misappropriation of funds for the "volunteer hostesses"? Any interrogation of Petraeus on Libya will be for show, hand washing and grandstanding purposes.

Actually, it goes far beyond the tabloid stuff.

The Petreaus -Kelley thing is likely just tabloid stuff being conveniently used to distract from whatever the real story is...

The media is spun in a frenzy and looking for the cigar moment, meanwhile, what part of Rome is burning?

I agree, and that's why my earlier comment mentioned circuses. I was just telling Allan that I believe ,regardless of how rotten things are in Denmark, that there will not be any incisive inquiries.

Russ: Well, you'd need an interested and involved press for that to happen, right? We haven't had serious investigative journalism for years and that's why the salacious tabloid aspects of this are dominant, rather than the deeper and more serious questions this raises. NSR called it right when asked about the important stuff behind/beyond the prurient interest.

Submitted by Blogstar on November 14, 2012 - 7:41pm.

It's a well established pattern...but I was referring to congress. The press is corrupt for $$$$ and neutered too, of course.

Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 14, 2012 - 8:06pm.

Blogstar wrote:
It's a well established pattern...but I was referring to congress. The press is corrupt for $$$$ and neutered too, of course.

Russ: It used to be that the press kept elected officials honest, but no more.

As much as people want to complain about the press being in the tank for Obama, they were just as deferential to Dubya, too, especially in the run-up to the Iraq War.

Submitted by svelte on November 14, 2012 - 10:08pm.
Submitted by Allan from Fallbrook on November 14, 2012 - 10:54pm.

svelte wrote:
Ooops

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/14/all-up-in-my-snatch.html

Svelte: Holy freaking shit! That is hilarious!

Oh, and you owe me a new keyboard. My old one just got covered with Coke Zero.

Submitted by svelte on November 15, 2012 - 7:17am.

Allan from Fallbrook wrote:
svelte wrote:
Ooops

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/14/all-up-in-my-snatch.html

Svelte: Holy freaking shit! That is hilarious!

Oh, and you owe me a new keyboard. My old one just got covered with Coke Zero.

lol! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

I got the giggles for about 10 minutes after I read that article!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.