Skyranch in Santee

User Forum Topic
Submitted by sunny88 on March 1, 2009 - 12:43am

The homes at Skyranch in Santee are very "reasonably" priced compared to other new homes in San Diego and there is no Mello Roos. I would like to see if anybody in this forum has bought a home in this development or if anybody has an opinion if they are a good value. Also, will home prices in Santee go up faster than other parts of SD?

Submitted by Misheloff on June 27, 2010 - 12:35pm.

No, I am not a liar. I lived on 8729 Graves Avenue in a shitbox apartment, sandwiched between the 67 freeway and Rattlesnake Mountain. We left just as they were dynamiting the mountain to make way for Skyranch for mentally challenged apes who might be dumb enough to pay 7 figures to live in Santee (just as the market was starting to sag).

Rent for a 2 bdr was very cheap (sub $1,000 at the time) and we were new to SD. As my daughter brought home kids from school, in one case grandma picked the kid up (mom was in jail) another time we literally had to bleach the tub after we washed another families filthy kid. We had a little girl who ate at our place a lot since her mom's strategy to lose weight was to STOP KEEPING FOOD IN THE HOUSE. That is no lie.

Santeeman, there is no argument to lose. These weare my observations from living in the cesspool of genetic sludge that is Santee for two years. Maybe they knocked down some eyesore buildings since we left in '07, but unless they kicked out 70% of the former residents, I will still whistle "Sweet Home Alabama" if ever I have the misfortune of driving through that pit of a city again.

Submitted by santeeman on June 27, 2010 - 2:12pm.

You are a liar. That you infact state that you had to live in a two bedroom apartment denotes your objectivity and your class level.

You statements in no way reflect the people in our community.

You may have had a bad experience here but that is all.

Sorry for your loss.

Submitted by Misheloff on June 27, 2010 - 2:25pm.

We did not "have" to live anywhere. We lived in a very low rent place while my wife was in nursing school and while we waited for the corerection we conserved as much money as we could - in '07 we couldn't stand it any more and rented for a couple of years in 4S Ranch. We then bought a home in '09 in Rancho Bernardo.

I'd be happy to compare tax returns and diplomas with you.

Submitted by SkyRanchOwner on June 28, 2010 - 12:55am.

Misheloff, the schools are "dreadful" you say? (Not according to API scores)

Substandard education? (Again, not according to API scores)

Tattooed, toothless people? (Sure, there are some, but we are OK with that, since most are nice, polite people. I was at Costco today, and considered your comments. Of about 120 people waiting in lines to checkout, about 3 people had tank tops, but no tattoos. Oh well, a sample of 1 does not make a trend.)

Oh, by the way, those tattooed, toothles people are below average when it comes to crime. Here is the trulia link to prove it:
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Santee...

20 minute drive to get a steak? (Well, if you must go to Ruth Chris, Mortons, or Donovan's, then yes, but for us, Outback, Black Angus, and the Original Roadhouse Grill will do just fine.)

110 degree temperatures through Santee? (According to the Weather Channel, the average high in Santee in the hottest months of the year, July and August, is 88 degrees F.)
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimato...

Putting lipstick on a pig? (We do eat pigs out here. We like ham, bacon, etc, but we leave off the lipstick.)

Living among mutants? (Oh no... You found out that the X-Men have a hideout here. Please don't tell Magneto. Plus, they help keep the crime rate low here! Geee, now you know our secret...)

Cesspool of genetic sludge? (Wow, I guess you have a PhD in Genetics and have analized the gene pool here. Most of the city is white, so I guess most whites are genetic sludge, according to your analysis.)
Here are the stats, in case you don't believe me:
http://www.ci.santee.ca.us/Modules/ShowD...
Approximately 78.7%, based on 2005/2006 stats.

I used to be in Rancho Bernardo myself, but decided not to throw my money away in Mello Roos and live in homes with small lots, people looking into my yard and windows from every angle, waiting until all the boom buyers foreclose in 4closure Ranch and Del Sur, etc. You might be surprised, but there is actually a lot of crime in Rancho Bernardo, just like any other town.

Open Purse Wallet Snatch:
http://rbnhw.com/incidents.shtml

Crime Data, RB - April 2010:
http://rbnhw.com/pdf-files/CrimeWatchDet...

Crime Data, RB - May 2010:
http://rbnhw.com/pdf-files/CrimeWatchDet...

Video of someone using a credit card, which they stole from a vehicle at LA Fitness, at CVS pharmacy in 4S Ranch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40mfUKO5OI

Armed Robbery of 7-11 at corner of Camino Del Norte and Bernardo Center Drive (Near 4closure Ranch)
http://www.newnation.vg/forums/showthrea...

Del Norte High School Coach in 4S Ranch, Arrested:
http://www.sandiego.gov/police/about/med...

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-01-07/...

Also, if you think Rancho Bernardo and Poway is so great, why don't you stop by the CVS pharmacy at 14589 Camino Del Norte, around the corner from Rancho Bernardo High School around 2:30 or so when school gets out (during the school year of course) and let me know what you find out. BTW, the cops have made this place a regular stakeout to scare the hoodlums away.

Or, how about going to the Walmart in Poway at 13425 Community Road and tell me how this is better than the Walmart in Santee...

Submitted by flu on June 28, 2010 - 1:28am.

SkyRanchOwner wrote:
Misheloff, the schools are "dreadful" you say? (Not according to API scores)

Substandard education? (Again, not according to API scores)

Tattooed, toothless people? (Sure, there are some, but we are OK with that, since most are nice, polite people. I was at Costco today, and considered your comments. Of about 120 people waiting in lines to checkout, about 3 people had tank tops, but no tattoos. Oh well, a sample of 1 does not make a trend.)

Oh, by the way, those tattooed, toothles people are below average when it comes to crime. Here is the trulia link to prove it:
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Santee...

20 minute drive to get a steak? (Well, if you must go to Ruth Chris, Mortons, or Donovan's, then yes, but for us, Outback, Black Angus, and the Original Roadhouse Grill will do just fine.)

110 degree temperatures through Santee? (According to the Weather Channel, the average high in Santee in the hottest months of the year, July and August, is 88 degrees F.)
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimato...

Putting lipstick on a pig? (We do eat pigs out here. We like ham, bacon, etc, but we leave off the lipstick.)

Living among mutants? (Oh no... You found out that the X-Men have a hideout here. Please don't tell Magneto. Plus, they help keep the crime rate low here! Geee, now you know our secret...)

Cesspool of genetic sludge? (Wow, I guess you have a PhD in Genetics and have analized the gene pool here. Most of the city is white, so I guess most whites are genetic sludge, according to your analysis.)
Here are the stats, in case you don't believe me:
http://www.ci.santee.ca.us/Modules/ShowD...
Approximately 78.7%, based on 2005/2006 stats.

I used to be in Rancho Bernardo myself, but decided not to throw my money away in Mello Roos and live in homes with small lots, people looking into my yard and windows from every angle, waiting until all the boom buyers foreclose in 4closure Ranch and Del Sur, etc. You might be surprised, but there is actually a lot of crime in Rancho Bernardo, just like any other town.

Open Purse Wallet Snatch:
http://rbnhw.com/incidents.shtml

Crime Data, RB - April 2010:
http://rbnhw.com/pdf-files/CrimeWatchDet...

Crime Data, RB - May 2010:
http://rbnhw.com/pdf-files/CrimeWatchDet...

Video of someone using a credit card, which they stole from a vehicle at LA Fitness, at CVS pharmacy in 4S Ranch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40mfUKO5OI

Armed Robbery of 7-11 at corner of Camino Del Norte and Bernardo Center Drive (Near 4closure Ranch)
http://www.newnation.vg/forums/showthrea...

Del Norte High School Coach in 4S Ranch, Arrested:
http://www.sandiego.gov/police/about/med...

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-01-07/...

Also, if you think Rancho Bernardo and Poway is so great, why don't you stop by the CVS pharmacy at 14589 Camino Del Norte, around the corner from Rancho Bernardo High School around 2:30 or so when school gets out (during the school year of course) and let me know what you find out. BTW, the cops have made this place a regular stakeout to scare the hoodlums away.

Or, how about going to the Walmart in Poway at 13425 Community Road and tell me how this is better than the Walmart in Santee...

I admire you spending so much time defending a place for which you aren't a mayor of...Seriously, how long did it take you to research all these counterarguments for why you wouldn't want to live anywhere else but SkyRanch?

Quote:

I used to be in Rancho Bernardo myself, but decided not to throw my money away in Mello Roos and live in homes with small lots, people looking into my yard and windows from every angle, waiting until all the boom buyers foreclose in 4closure Ranch and Del Sur, etc. You might be surprised, but there is actually a lot of crime in Rancho Bernardo, just like any other town.

Again, i think it's statements like this that are sort of making folks scratch their heads. You say you didn't want to throw money away in Mello Roos, but then at the same time you moved into SkyRanch, where HOA dues are around $350/month??? I don't know, but it seems like your total annual HOA @Skyranch would be more or less a wash with paing paying mello ruse, no? I mean mello ruse is usually around $2kish no? (Well, it's $1150 for me, roughly, and a $25/month HOA)...Just saying....

Submitted by joec on June 28, 2010 - 6:22am.

flu wrote:
Again, i think it's statements like this that are sort of making folks scratch their heads. You say you didn't want to throw money away in Mello Roos, but then at the same time you moved into SkyRanch, where HOA dues are around $350/month??? I don't know, but it seems like your total annual HOA @Skyranch would be more or less a wash with paing paying mello ruse, no? I mean mello ruse is usually around $2kish no? (Well, it's $1150 for me, roughly, and a $25/month HOA)...Just saying....

Add this specifically to one reason we didn't choose Sky Ranch. We were very concerned that they will keep raising the HOA fee since so few homes sold back in 2008-2009 and it jumped such a massive amount from the first time we visited to now. Does anyone have specific numbers? I am positive that the HOA at Sky Ranch was "only" about $150/month or even lower when they started back in 2008 (does anyone remember what it was back then? I deleted, tossed almost all my notes/brochures when we decided against moving in). Going up $200/month is downright scary.

Maybe it'll come back down now a little since the buildout is further along, but I don't think they'll go under $100. You also don't get much from the HOA other than maintaining open space (which I felt was a waste).

Submitted by Misheloff on June 28, 2010 - 7:54am.

SkyRanchOwner wrote:
Misheloff, the schools are "dreadful" you say? (Not according to API scores)

Substandard education? (Again, not according to API scores)

Tattooed, toothless people? (Sure, there are some, but we are OK with that, since most are nice, polite people. I was at Costco today, and considered your comments. Of about 120 people waiting in lines to checkout, about 3 people had tank tops, but no tattoos. Oh well, a sample of 1 does not make a trend.)

Oh, by the way, those tattooed, toothles people are below average when it comes to crime. Here is the trulia link to prove it:
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Santee...

20 minute drive to get a steak? (Well, if you must go to Ruth Chris, Mortons, or Donovan's, then yes, but for us, Outback, Black Angus, and the Original Roadhouse Grill will do just fine.)

110 degree temperatures through Santee? (According to the Weather Channel, the average high in Santee in the hottest months of the year, July and August, is 88 degrees F.)
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimato...

Putting lipstick on a pig? (We do eat pigs out here. We like ham, bacon, etc, but we leave off the lipstick.)

Living among mutants? (Oh no... You found out that the X-Men have a hideout here. Please don't tell Magneto. Plus, they help keep the crime rate low here! Geee, now you know our secret...)

Cesspool of genetic sludge? (Wow, I guess you have a PhD in Genetics and have analized the gene pool here. Most of the city is white, so I guess most whites are genetic sludge, according to your analysis.)
Here are the stats, in case you don't believe me:
http://www.ci.santee.ca.us/Modules/ShowD...
Approximately 78.7%, based on 2005/2006 stats.

I used to be in Rancho Bernardo myself, but decided not to throw my money away in Mello Roos and live in homes with small lots, people looking into my yard and windows from every angle, waiting until all the boom buyers foreclose in 4closure Ranch and Del Sur, etc. You might be surprised, but there is actually a lot of crime in Rancho Bernardo, just like any other town.

Open Purse Wallet Snatch:
http://rbnhw.com/incidents.shtml

Crime Data, RB - April 2010:
http://rbnhw.com/pdf-files/CrimeWatchDet...

Crime Data, RB - May 2010:
http://rbnhw.com/pdf-files/CrimeWatchDet...

Video of someone using a credit card, which they stole from a vehicle at LA Fitness, at CVS pharmacy in 4S Ranch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40mfUKO5OI

Armed Robbery of 7-11 at corner of Camino Del Norte and Bernardo Center Drive (Near 4closure Ranch)
http://www.newnation.vg/forums/showthrea...

Del Norte High School Coach in 4S Ranch, Arrested:
http://www.sandiego.gov/police/about/med...

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-01-07/...

Also, if you think Rancho Bernardo and Poway is so great, why don't you stop by the CVS pharmacy at 14589 Camino Del Norte, around the corner from Rancho Bernardo High School around 2:30 or so when school gets out (during the school year of course) and let me know what you find out. BTW, the cops have made this place a regular stakeout to scare the hoodlums away.

Or, how about going to the Walmart in Poway at 13425 Community Road and tell me how this is better than the Walmart in Santee...

You can quote API scores all you want - my daughter brought kids home from school, and, as a rule, they were subhuman troglodytes.

To claim the mercury in Santee doesn't hit 110 in summer months is just idiotic.

You have attempted to show me Santee's genetic prowess by providing a link to show me how many of the people are white. How....Klu Klux Klan of you.

And... to claim that Rancho Bernardo is any sort of a high crime area is just so unbelievably stupid, I can't believe you manage to get out of your house without slipping and falling in your own drool. I mean, you are a complete fucking idiot!

By the way dipshit, our mello roos are -ZERO- (we are in 92128, not 92127)

Submitted by santeeman on June 28, 2010 - 8:48am.

The summer months are hotter than near the beach. The average temperature range is 10 degrees hotter in the summer and 10 degrees colder in the winter (approximately) out here.

We can get desert hot in the months of August and September. Not the whole month but when we have our high spells ususally a few days.

However I took my kids to La Jolla yesterday just around the corner LOL! It was cold. When we were coming home the kids noticed the gloom lifted as we were heading over the hills between Tierra Santa and Santee. I told them that is why they call it sunny Santee. You see our kids can actually use the pool in the summer and not freeze to death.

As for everything else the self deprecating lunatic above says I am not buying it. I raise the BS flag on everything. He is just making things up to counter your claims of an above average existence in Sky Ranch. It is so and that is a fact. The people who live there are in a higher social class than he and that's just to bad.

Submitted by PKMAN on June 28, 2010 - 10:13am.

A lot of accusations are made against Santee, as if it’s THE worst place to live in SD and that most (if not all) Santee residents are sub-human. But can anyone actually list a few truly awful crimes committed in Santee in the last few years? 2 girls tragically lost their lives at the hand of a convicted sex offender and a young man was beaten to death by his own friends outside of his own home, all happened in upscale neighborhoods around SD.

I’ve moved to Riverwalk for 1.5 years now and I can say that my neighbors are mostly decent people with common courtesy. Men are sometime shirtless, as they work on the yard, walk to the community pool or play with their kids, but it doesn’t feel out of place in a cohesive community and they do not have scary tattoo. At the same time, girls are often in bikini during summer days.

Kids will always be kids so yes, Riverwalk can be a bid rowdy and noisy during the summer months when kids (especially teenagers) are out of school. But I look back at my own teenage years and don’t feel that these kids are acting out of order or about to become the Bird Rock Bandits.

I guess some people will forever look down on Santee (and apparently some hate Alabama as well), not only negatively but absolute despise it. It just shows that prejudice (more or less of it) is not based on educational or professional achievement. I have lived amongst the elites in Asia (high-level MNC expats stationing there) and the “slums” of Inglewood (LA) and Flushing (NY). Santee is just fine for me and a place I feel I can settle down and live for a very long time.

Submitted by SkyRanchOwner on June 28, 2010 - 10:37am.

Misheloff wrote:
How....Klu Klux Klan of you.

And... to claim that Rancho Bernardo is any sort of a high crime area is just so unbelievably stupid, I can't believe you manage to get out of your house without slipping and falling in your own drool. I mean, you are a complete fucking idiot!

By the way dipshit, our mello roos are -ZERO- (we are in 92128, not 92127)

Misheloff, your comments are so, should we say,... sophisticated and eloquent... :-)

Submitted by SkyRanchOwner on June 28, 2010 - 3:11pm.

Misheloff wrote:
You can quote API scores all you want - my daughter brought kids home from school, and, as a rule, they were subhuman troglodytes.

Maybe she brought home the worst of the worst? Maybe this speaks to more of an issue with the parents. I'm sure the children appreciated your wife's help in class, as all children need good mentors, some more than others. As for your daughter, sorry things didn't work out. There are great families in Sky Ranch, from what I can see.

Misheloff wrote:
To claim the mercury in Santee doesn't hit 110 in summer months is just idiotic.

I know it can get that hot. The record high was in 2006 at 113 degrees F, but the fact is, that isn't the average norm! Here is the weather channel statistics on average monthly temperatures through the year:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreatio...
(Click on "Record High & Record Low" to see the full range, which are records not averages)

Compare to Rancho Bernardo (92128)...
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreatio...

Seems pretty similar to me as far as when these highs and lows were, based on facts. Yet, Santee is slightly warmer due to being more inland and less of a breeze. Up in Sky Ranch, we do get more of a breeze up here, which helps.

Misheloff wrote:
You have attempted to show me Santee's genetic prowess by providing a link to show me how many of the people are white. How....Klu Klux Klan of you.

Just giving you facts in reply to your comments. And just because they are white, doesn't mean they are KKK members.

Misheloff wrote:
And... to claim that Rancho Bernardo is any sort of a high crime area is just so unbelievably stupid, I can't believe you manage to get out of your house without slipping and falling in your own drool. I mean, you are a complete fucking idiot!

Didn't say it was high, just that there is crime there too. I know, I lived there. That's why I could easily look up some of the links to local crime there.

Misheloff wrote:
By the way dipshit, our mello roos are -ZERO- (we are in 92128, not 92127)

Good for you then...

On HOA dues, a new budget is being submitted because the HOA dues were overbudgeted. They expect the HOA dues to come down. By how much, I don't know, but anything would be good. Overall, I do agree that HOA dues in Sky Ranch are high compared to other areas. This does need to be addressed, and the HOA is working on it.

Mello Roos is much higher in the new areas of Rancho Bernardo. If you got in early during the development, they are probably lower.

Here is an example of those Mello Roos fees in 4S Ranch:

http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-100034949-17... - Mello Roos $330/month + $80 HOA = $410/month

http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-100013108-17... - Mello Roos $330/month + $80 HOA = $410/month

http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-100036938-17... - Mello Roos $291/month + $69/month HOA = $360/month

I'm comparing NEW homes here, as a comparison to HOA for NEW homes in Sky Ranch.

Again, Sky Ranch and Santee isn't for everyone. All I'm saying is we like it, and so do our neighbors. If it isn't for you, then you don't have to live here. I'm just providing the facts on Santee and Sky Ranch for people who are looking around. No need to be vulgar or curse to make a point. Rancho Bernardo is nice too. We like the landscape of the area. Heck, I wouldn't mind living there either, we just happen to have chosen Sky Ranch for all the reasons I've posted. Of course, this is for us and it meets our needs. When we bought, we were comparing this to 4S Ranch, San Marcos, and Chula Vista for NEW homes. So, if you aren't looking for a new home, my information, or case study, may not be a good example for you.

Submitted by natty on June 28, 2010 - 4:09pm.

SkyRanchOwner wrote:
natty, I'm not confused. I bought in an area that already had major depreciation like Chula Vista and San Marcos. They were the first to take major drops unlike Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Rancho Bernardo, and other areas that have MAJOR high-end shadow inventory that will soon push average home prices even lower for those areas, in my opinion. People in these areas have hung on longer and are sitting in their homes, milking the system for every drop of free rent.

Sky Ranch was built after the RE crash started, and Lennar corrected the home prices to match current market values. Of course, prices are still dropping, yet I don't feel they will drop as much as other areas have yet to drop that were built on the RE boom time, especially areas like 4S Ranch.

Let me clarify, that when I speak of investment, I'm not confused. I'm talking long-term investment, not just someone looking to "flip" or as we call now "flop" in the short-term. Everyone wants a quick buck. We bought in an area and community that we thought mitigated against many current RE risks out there, especially in the higher end areas, that, as I mentioned, in my opinion, still have a ways to go in correction to come back to reality. Again, we are thinking long-term, versus short term, as, natty, you may be thinking.

If you had bought property in East Village or other areas, before the boom, wouldn't you have made money? Areas that undergo GENTRIFICATION can appreciate in value and increase the demand for that area. All it takes is the right plan, execution, and a little time and patience, which, unfortunately, most people don't have these days.

All I have to tell you, which is a fact, is that homes are still selling in Sky Ranch! Sure, prices will fluctuate, but that fluctuation will be reduced, in my opinion. Once Sky Ranch is built out, and there are no more homes left, except resale, prices will go up. It will be a simple supply and demand, economical process. Sky Ranch is the BEST, NEW community in East County per location, views, home size, lot size, commute time, and many other factors.

PS - I don't plan on moving anytime soon, because I really like it here, yet I would rather have positive equity than negative equity in my home any time of the day. So, I see less risk of this versus all the other new home buyers who bought during the boom period and are already majorly underwater, 3-5 years out...

had been meaning to get back to this.
im not questioning your long term investment vs flip.

you originally stated that you bought independent of cost at the time because you anticipate the value of your property to increase over time. you were willing to absorb ANOTHER 30% drop in value because of x,y,z. now you have gone to great lengths to explain that original thought process, but within those explanations seems to be the underlying idea that you will make money on your investment. that you see less risk in the area you purchased in vs. those you have selected to compare with. This is where confusion arrives.

this is point people are disagreeing with.

if you were to write you bought home in sky ranch because you loved it for aesthetic reason(view, lifestyle, shops, etc.) and that $ played no role now or in 30 years, I would fall in line and go on my way.

But that's not what you are writing. You are now writing you bought there because you anticipate the value of your property to rise, you 'believe' in the entire community plan & residents, and you foresaw less risk at the time of purchase in this area vs. the other areas you looked.

Because you have convinced yourself you made the correct decision now & future, does not mean others are incorrect for questioning your logic & reasons in selecting the area at the assumed cost you did.

Submitted by flu on June 28, 2010 - 4:51pm.

natty wrote:

had been meaning to get back to this.
im not questioning your long term investment vs flip.

you originally stated that you bought independent of cost at the time because you anticipate the value of your property to increase over time. you were willing to absorb ANOTHER 30% drop in value because of x,y,z. now you have gone to great lengths to explain that original thought process, but within those explanations seems to be the underlying idea that you will make money on your investment. that you see less risk in the area you purchased in vs. those you have selected to compare with. This is where confusion arrives.

this is point people are disagreeing with.

if you were to write you bought home in sky ranch because you loved it for aesthetic reason(view, lifestyle, shops, etc.) and that $ played no role now or in 30 years, I would fall in line and go on my way.

But that's not what you are writing. You are now writing you bought there because you anticipate the value of your property to rise, you 'believe' in the entire community plan & residents, and you foresaw less risk at the time of purchase in this area vs. the other areas you looked.

Because you have convinced yourself you made the correct decision now & future, does not mean others are incorrect for questioning your logic & reasons in selecting the area at the assumed cost you did.

That's exactly my point... And thank you for stating it (again). Never said Santee is a dump or anything....What is so puzzling is the viewpoint that this is actually an investment that will appreciate and move contrary to the rest of the RE market in San Diego...or most of the rest of this country for that matter. Maybe some purchased before all the discounting that lennar is throwing at prospects now...

Anyway, it's going to take a lot more to even break even, especially if one's been making 2+ years of mortgage payments, hoa payments, property tax, etc versus, say renting...

Well, whatever..

Submitted by cabal on June 28, 2010 - 10:08pm.

bearishgurl wrote:
flu wrote:
I went through this right now with a my bosses, former bosses, 2 colleagues, 2 neighbors, and 1 friend.

Conclusion?

Most of them moved to an area with a better school district, because they couldn't afford 12 years of private school for 2 kids (and these are double income, higher income families)...The remaining ones were very well off families: didn't blink about shelling out $20-30k/year per kid, and aren't thinking about trying to save $100-200k on a home purchase.

Disclaimer: I'm not a subscriber to this "overeducation" mentality...

Crazy, crazy, crazy . . . these people must have money to burn . . . this is utterly ridiculous.

A few comments on LJCDS. In the 90s, the tuition for kindergarten at LJCDS versus a top Montessori was approximately 8K and 6k, respectively, not a huge difference. Moreover, for an additional $400 at LJCDS, your child can stay until 5pm for the entire school year. Tuition at 20K-25K today would be hard to swallow. I enrolled my son at LJCDS by chance because we could not get him into a decent Montessori/preschool. Apparently, you needed to sign up for the waiting list 2 yrs ahead of time.

The quality and attention at LJCDS is unmatched. As I recall, the kindergarten class had 10? kids, with two full time, degreed teachers. The curriculum was challenging, while the teachers were overly supportive providing one-to-one attention. Overall, the classroom presented a great environment to build self esteem. The enrichment programs were outstanding. For example, science at other preschools may consist of reading basic books. At LJCDS, Sally Ride would come into the classroom and lecture the kids on the experience of flying on the shuttle into space.

Bearishgurl – Rich people use their money wisely, which is why they stay rich and keep getting richer. In addition to the outstanding educational experience, the tuition at a place like LJCDS buys access. These kids live primarily in RSF, Del Mar, La Jolla, etc. There were a few from Poway, Escondido, East and South County, maybe even Santee, but very few. The parents were typically CEOs, upper management, Doctors, Lawyers, etc. and all very well connected. Kids want to play with each other, which means parents meet each other socially. It’s very easy to develop networks and build that invaluable asset called “Social Capital”. Ask any CEO what is their most prized possession and they will immediately point to their rolodex. So, is 25K a year tuition worth it? It is if you can turn your lousy 150k/yr job into 500K/yr.

Submitted by joec on June 29, 2010 - 10:24am.

cabal wrote:

A few comments on LJCDS. In the 90s, the tuition for kindergarten at LJCDS versus a top Montessori was approximately 8K and 6k, respectively, not a huge difference. Moreover, for an additional $400 at LJCDS, your child can stay until 5pm for the entire school year. Tuition at 20K-25K today would be hard to swallow. I enrolled my son at LJCDS by chance because we could not get him into a decent Montessori/preschool. Apparently, you needed to sign up for the waiting list 2 yrs ahead of time.

The quality and attention at LJCDS is unmatched. As I recall, the kindergarten class had 10? kids, with two full time, degreed teachers. The curriculum was challenging, while the teachers were overly supportive providing one-to-one attention. Overall, the classroom presented a great environment to build self esteem. The enrichment programs were outstanding. For example, science at other preschools may consist of reading basic books. At LJCDS, Sally Ride would come into the classroom and lecture the kids on the experience of flying on the shuttle into space.

Bearishgurl – Rich people use their money wisely, which is why they stay rich and keep getting richer. In addition to the outstanding educational experience, the tuition at a place like LJCDS buys access. These kids live primarily in RSF, Del Mar, La Jolla, etc. There were a few from Poway, Escondido, East and South County, maybe even Santee, but very few. The parents were typically CEOs, upper management, Doctors, Lawyers, etc. and all very well connected. Kids want to play with each other, which means parents meet each other socially. It’s very easy to develop networks and build that invaluable asset called “Social Capital”. Ask any CEO what is their most prized possession and they will immediately point to their rolodex. So, is 25K a year tuition worth it? It is if you can turn your lousy 150k/yr job into 500K/yr.

This is a great post. Sorta like going to a top 5 MBA school not for the education, but to build long term business contacts for your own career...With how busy a lot of executives, doctors, business people are and most not really giving you the time of day, being in the same circle as their kids while they are on play dates can't help but open some doors.

Thanks for the insight.

Submitted by outtamojo on June 29, 2010 - 11:31am.

joec wrote:
cabal wrote:

A few comments on LJCDS. In the 90s, the tuition for kindergarten at LJCDS versus a top Montessori was approximately 8K and 6k, respectively, not a huge difference. Moreover, for an additional $400 at LJCDS, your child can stay until 5pm for the entire school year. Tuition at 20K-25K today would be hard to swallow. I enrolled my son at LJCDS by chance because we could not get him into a decent Montessori/preschool. Apparently, you needed to sign up for the waiting list 2 yrs ahead of time.

The quality and attention at LJCDS is unmatched. As I recall, the kindergarten class had 10? kids, with two full time, degreed teachers. The curriculum was challenging, while the teachers were overly supportive providing one-to-one attention. Overall, the classroom presented a great environment to build self esteem. The enrichment programs were outstanding. For example, science at other preschools may consist of reading basic books. At LJCDS, Sally Ride would come into the classroom and lecture the kids on the experience of flying on the shuttle into space.

Bearishgurl – Rich people use their money wisely, which is why they stay rich and keep getting richer. In addition to the outstanding educational experience, the tuition at a place like LJCDS buys access. These kids live primarily in RSF, Del Mar, La Jolla, etc. There were a few from Poway, Escondido, East and South County, maybe even Santee, but very few. The parents were typically CEOs, upper management, Doctors, Lawyers, etc. and all very well connected. Kids want to play with each other, which means parents meet each other socially. It’s very easy to develop networks and build that invaluable asset called “Social Capital”. Ask any CEO what is their most prized possession and they will immediately point to their rolodex. So, is 25K a year tuition worth it? It is if you can turn your lousy 150k/yr job into 500K/yr.

This is a great post. Sorta like going to a top 5 MBA school not for the education, but to build long term business contacts for your own career...With how busy a lot of executives, doctors, business people are and most not really giving you the time of day, being in the same circle as their kids while they are on play dates can't help but open some doors.

Thanks for the insight.

Whole 'nuther thread but I detest this whole networking and hiring social acquaintance way of hiring. In my experience the friends and family scheme of has resulted in too many incompetent executive types roaming the hallways of my workplace.

Submitted by sunny88 on June 30, 2010 - 1:53pm.

You can detest the networking as much as you want but the fact is that's how our society works. People with connections are more successful in doing most things whether it's something ethical or not.

Submitted by kcal09 on July 3, 2010 - 5:54pm.

sunny88 wrote:
You can detest the networking as much as you want but the fact is that's how our society works. People with connections are more successful in doing most things whether it's something ethical or not.

Agreed, networking is much more important than intelligence, dilligence or honesty.

Submitted by SkyRanchOwner on August 9, 2010 - 11:16pm.

New, lower pricing on new EaglePointe homes in SkyRanch:

Residence 1 Homesite 0217 $679,999
(3568 sf, 3 car garage, 1 story)
7279 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

Residence 2X Homesite 0213 $649,990
(4168 sf, 3 car garage, 2 story)
7270 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

Residence 2X Homesite 0214 $689,990
(4168 sf, 3 car garage, 2 story)
7297 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

Residence 2X Homesite 0216 $699,990
(4168 sf, 3 car garage, 2 story)
7285 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

1 home left in current Crestview Phase:

Residence 1 B Homesite 0023 $499,990
(2418 sf, 3 car garage, 1 story)
5583 Dracena Street, Santee, CA, 92071

-----------

Also, I heard a radio ad on 101.5 FM for Sky Ranch by Lennar. Did anyone else hear this ad too?

Submitted by flu on August 9, 2010 - 11:28pm.

SkyRanchOwner wrote:
New, lower pricing on new EaglePointe homes in SkyRanch:

Residence 1 Homesite 0217 $679,999
(3568 sf, 3 car garage, 1 story)
7279 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

Residence 2X Homesite 0213 $649,990
(4168 sf, 3 car garage, 2 story)
7270 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

Residence 2X Homesite 0214 $689,990
(4168 sf, 3 car garage, 2 story)
7297 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

Residence 2X Homesite 0216 $699,990
(4168 sf, 3 car garage, 2 story)
7285 Ocotillo Street, Santee, CA, 92071

1 home left in current Crestview Phase:

Residence 1 B Homesite 0023 $499,990
(2418 sf, 3 car garage, 1 story)
5583 Dracena Street, Santee, CA, 92071

-----------

Also, I heard a radio ad on 101.5 FM for Sky Ranch by Lennar. Did anyone else hear this ad too?

So is a contrarian indicator that unlike the rest of San Diego, Santee going to appreciate?

Submitted by flu on August 9, 2010 - 11:37pm.

SkyRanchOwner wrote:
NEW Smokin deals at Sky Ranch for Eaglepointe homes:

1. EaglePointe Model Home, Plan 2, Fully furnished and upgraded!!
$799,990, 4177 sq. ft., 5 bed / 5 bath, 3 car garage
http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-100009996-61...

2. EaglePointe, Plan 2X, top of the hill, on backside, with approximately 1 acre of land (includes slopes in land measurement)
$699,990, 4168 sq. ft., 5 bed / 5 bath, 3 car garage
http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-100023268-7270_Ocotillo_St_Santee_CA_92071

If these were a smoking deal two months ago, they must be scorching now.......

#2 is now $649,990...

Ouch!

Submitted by flu on August 9, 2010 - 11:41pm.

deleted

Submitted by Aecetia on August 10, 2010 - 12:06am.

flu,

Time for a Skyranch poll.

Submitted by kcal09 on August 10, 2010 - 10:32am.

Can you imagine how the people feel who bought these homes for over $900k 3 years ago? It is my understanding however that Santee is going through a transition to becoming the La Jolla of the East County and the home values will go up faster than anywhere else...

Submitted by flu on August 10, 2010 - 11:51am.

kcal09 wrote:
Can you imagine how the people feel who bought these homes for over $900k 3 years ago? It is my understanding however that Santee is going through a transition to becoming the La Jolla of the East County and the home values will go up faster than anywhere else...

There are probably people who paid close to that recently before the price drop(s) too. I mean, some of these properties have dropped about $150k only with the past 6 months i think. I think that in itself is pretty alarming, especially since it seems like the builder is doing this, not someone who is trying to sell....That's not something to sneeze about. I wonder if it's the end or not. Some of the pads look pretty nice. That one currently at $650k would be pretty attractive at $500k, imho...Wonder what the possibility of that would be.

Submitted by kcal09 on August 10, 2010 - 12:44pm.

In my opinion, the current prices are still a little too high for Santee, i.e. these homes are not a "steal" yet. You're right , somewhere in the $500k range would be an attractive buy.

Submitted by flinger on August 10, 2010 - 12:54pm.

kcal09 wrote:
...Santee is going through a transition to becoming the La Jolla of the East County...

And no wonder, it is only a 10-minute drive.

Submitted by joec on August 10, 2010 - 1:10pm.

kcal09 wrote:
Can you imagine how the people feel who bought these homes for over $900k 3 years ago? It is my understanding however that Santee is going through a transition to becoming the La Jolla of the East County and the home values will go up faster than anywhere else...

I was thinking the same thing...When I was looking at Sky Ranch back in 2007, these homes were close to a million (and weren't really selling).

We liked the Crestview plan 3 and those were around 615k or so back then.

Not Sky Ranch, but some folks paid close to 700k for Riverwalk in Santee as well...

Prices were pretty crazy back then.

Submitted by kcal09 on August 10, 2010 - 1:22pm.

flinger wrote:
kcal09 wrote:
...Santee is going through a transition to becoming the La Jolla of the East County...

And no wonder, it is only a 10-minute drive.

Yep, so that your kids can go to the schools in LJ...

Submitted by SkyRanchOwner on August 11, 2010 - 10:23am.

Nothing price can't fix! I too wouldn't be suprised if prices came down more on Eaglepoint. They have 3 phases left, after this current one. They are trying to figure out the correct price point for these homes in the current market.

Also, the last model for sale at $799k just went pending. I wonder what it will close at.
http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-100009996-61...

Here is the $649,990 EaglePointe listing:
http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-100023268-72...

Now that they are under the FHA loan limits, you'll probably see more of these sell. Crestview and NorthStar keep selling and are where the buyers are, price point wise, for this area.
http://www.fha.com/lending_limits_state....

FYI - the 52 extension is coming along nicely. Should be finished I think by Q1 2011.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.