Crown molding cost and good contractor in San Diego

User Forum Topic
Submitted by jimmyle on April 27, 2011 - 3:20pm

I am thinking about adding crown molding to my newly painted kitchen and family room. How much does it cost per linear foot (material + labor)? And can you recommend a good (skilled/trusworthy/affordable) contractor in San Diego?

I was thinking about doing myself but the high ceiling and angles in my house make it very difficult.

Thanks,

AttachmentSize
IMG_1905.JPG16.32 KB
IMG_1908.JPG13.59 KB

Submitted by njtosd on April 27, 2011 - 3:32pm.

The cost per linear foot depends a lot on the material (wood vs. MDF), the width, etc. We purchased our molding from Mission Molding in Kearny Mesa -

http://www.missionmoulding.net/Site/Home...

It had been recommended by our GC and we were very happy with what they had to offer. They might be able to point you to someone who can do the installation for you.

FWIW - although I usually want the real thing, that doesn't apply to molding. Real wood expands and contracts with humidity and temperature, causing gaps to open up between segments and/or the ceiling or wall (even when you fill the gaps with caulk that is supposed to expand, etc.) MDF doesn't expand or contract, but it has to be painted (we always want white trim, so that isn't a problem).

Submitted by UCGal on April 27, 2011 - 3:43pm.

I agree with njtosd with additional emphasis on the fact that it depends on which molding you choose.

Friends, in restoring their Rittenhouse Sq row house, spent over 20k on custom milled molding. They admitted after the fact that it did not need to be custom milled. This is what happens when the person ordering the molding is an architect who's feeling his oats.

If they'd chosen a stock molding they would have spent about 2k on the same molding for the same effect.

Submitted by jpinpb on April 27, 2011 - 4:13pm.

If you are okay w/run-of-the-mill crown molding, I saw some decent ones at Lowes and they usually have those 10% off coupons, too. Or if you or anyone you know is in the military, they get 10% off.

Submitted by carli on April 27, 2011 - 4:16pm.

I'd highly recommend Kevin McBrearty, who owns a company called The Door Guys.

His main line of work is installation of doors and windows (both of which I'd also highly recommend him for), but our general contractor also insisted on using him for all of our molding, and I can see why because he did a fantastic job.

Our architect spec'd a 3-piece molding around the windows (Craftsman style) along w/a certain sill configuration and wanted it to be very authentic so it had to be very precise in its measurements. Kevin was a real trooper about it...first, he mocked up a sample of the molding and installed it around one of our windows and asked me to look at it. When I thought the proportions didn't look right, he stopped the job and waited for our architect to come out the next day and discuss it. He changed it ever so slightly without a hint of annoyance (unlike most of the other contractors, who couldn't stand taking orders from an architect). It was clear that his entire goal was to please us all.

He was definitely one of the most professional, knowledgeable, "can-do" guys on our job and was a true pleasure to work with. His work was top-notch and he left the area pristine at the end of every day. He was also quick and reasonably priced...even though our renovation/addition was done a couple years ago, to this day, he stands out in my mind as one of the best subs on the job.

By the way, I completely agree that you only need and should use MDF for your moldings and in most cases, a custom molding is definitely not necessary! It was one of the few areas where we splurged on our job, and although it was a 3-piece molding, none of the pieces had to be custom milled or it would have gotten way out of control.

Here's Kevin's website - http://www.thedoorguyssandiego.com/index...

Submitted by frenchlambda on April 27, 2011 - 5:05pm.

I have added crown molding to my entire condo and it only cost me about $1200. That also included casing for 4 large windows.
I used this guy:

He did a fantastic job. He works with his brother, is on time and did the whole place in 2 days.
He still has a 6" crown molding special for $4 per foot (painted and installed). He doesn't charge extra for corners.
I can send you some pictures of my place if you wish.

Submitted by frenchlambda on April 27, 2011 - 5:06pm.
Submitted by LAAFTERHOURS on April 27, 2011 - 8:07pm.

Dont buy from Lowes - they are way overpriced. I learned that after I bought a builder pack then got a referral for a local guy who does handy work. Hes a nice guy from the UK who was a friend of a friend. He purchased the same molding, thicker but way cheaper than the thinner builder pack i bought at lowes.

He picked up and dropped off the material. I primed and painted it and I helped him lift it while he nail gunned it up. He did the rest.

He did 8 rooms well under whats been mentioned above for pricing.

If you are in north county let me know and i will send his info.

Submitted by recordsclerk on April 27, 2011 - 9:25pm.

Mission Molding is cheaper than Lowes and Home Depot by the foot. They will only sell you full sticks which are mostly 16ft long. Usually a savings of 15-25 Cents a foot. Both of the box stores allow you to cut individual sizes and only charge by the foot. Depending on your transportation limitations or if you need consistent 12 foot pieces the box stores may be more convenient (transportation) and cost effective. MDF is so cheap that it was always more convenient for us to buy at Mission Molding and cut on the job site. Both of the Box stores have builder packs that are extremely cheap. The builder packs come in packs of 10 or 12 pieces. I think each piece is about 12 to 14ft long. The selection is very limited on builder packs and usually on the smaller basic styles. I would leave crown molding to the experts since you have the vaulted areas that are not even. Even basic installation can be a pain if you don't have a double bevel mitre saw. You have to cut pieces upside down and reverse if you only have a single bevel.

Submitted by AN on April 27, 2011 - 9:39pm.

Crown molding is quite easy to do (except for the slope ceilings). I got my molding at TH&H, http://www.th-h.com/. The most time consuming part is paint and caulk. If you learn to do it yourself, then you can do the rest of your house by yourself as well. If you go w/ MDF, material should be about $0.50-$1/lf while the labor is much more than that.

Submitted by LAAFTERHOURS on April 28, 2011 - 5:57am.

The one other thing I will mention is that we didnt do all rooms and now wish we did. We did all rooms that were within eyeshot of each other except the nook room. We will definitely get the other ones done this year mainly to make it uniform throughout the house.

As others have mentioned, this stuff isnt difficult to install or cut. The biggest issue i have is lack of truck to pickup 16 foot lengths. If I had a means to pickup the material, I would probably finish the house myself considering I have every tool required to do the job. All i would need is some beer to provide to a friend with an arm to hold it up while my nail gun fires it into place.

Submitted by njtosd on April 28, 2011 - 9:33am.

LAAFTERHOURS wrote:

. . .
As others have mentioned, this stuff isnt difficult to install or cut. The biggest issue i have is lack of truck to pickup 16 foot lengths. If I had a means to pickup the material, I would probably finish the house myself considering I have every tool required to do the job. All i would need is some beer to provide to a friend with an arm to hold it up while my nail gun fires it into place.

I'm not sure, but won't most places deliver (for a charge)?

Submitted by AN on April 28, 2011 - 9:48am.

njtosd wrote:
LAAFTERHOURS wrote:

. . .
As others have mentioned, this stuff isnt difficult to install or cut. The biggest issue i have is lack of truck to pickup 16 foot lengths. If I had a means to pickup the material, I would probably finish the house myself considering I have every tool required to do the job. All i would need is some beer to provide to a friend with an arm to hold it up while my nail gun fires it into place.

I'm not sure, but won't most places deliver (for a charge)?


Yes. But the delivery charge is expensive enough that it would only make sense if you plan out your whole house and order all at once. They also have minimum a mount you have to buy in order for them to deliver. When I bought my house, my garage was full of doors and moldings. Shipping charge turns out to be ~$100 for a little over $1k worth of doors and moldings.

Submitted by jimmyle on April 28, 2011 - 10:02am.

I just got a quote for around $1,400 for (6" crown + labor and paint included) for my whole 1826 sq ft single story house.

My house has high ceilings even in the bedrooms and there are many weird angles. I think I will hire this guy rather than do it myself.

With the cost of buying materials at around $700 (more waste when I do it) + $100 for delivery and paint. I think the extra $600 is worth it because he will do a much better job that I can.

Submitted by AN on April 28, 2011 - 10:23am.

jimmyle wrote:
I just got a quote for around $1,400 for (6" crown + labor and paint included) for my whole 1826 sq ft single story house.

My house has high ceilings even in the bedrooms and there are many weird angles. I think I will hire this guy rather than do it myself.

With the cost of buying materials at around $700 (more waste when I do it) + $100 for delivery and paint. I think the extra $600 is worth it because he will do a much better job that I can.


Where did you get $700 for materials from? My house is bigger than yours and I think I spent about $400 tops for crown. Lets assume a 10x10 bedroom, that's 100 sq-ft but only 40 linear foot. A 20x20 living room is 400 sq-ft but only 80 linear foot. I think I spent no more than $1000 in molding materials for doors/windows casings, baseboards, wainscotting, chair rails, & crown. This is for a house that's bigger than yours as well.

Submitted by jimmyle on April 28, 2011 - 10:44am.

I need about 350 feet + 70 feet scraps. At $1.6 per linear feet, it is $700. I think you mentioned $1 a feet but I have not seen any thing decent under $1.5. I need to check your place out.

AN wrote:
jimmyle wrote:
I just got a quote for around $1,400 for (6" crown + labor and paint included) for my whole 1826 sq ft single story house.

My house has high ceilings even in the bedrooms and there are many weird angles. I think I will hire this guy rather than do it myself.

With the cost of buying materials at around $700 (more waste when I do it) + $100 for delivery and paint. I think the extra $600 is worth it because he will do a much better job that I can.


Where did you get $700 for materials from? My house is bigger than yours and I think I spent about $400 tops for crown. Lets assume a 10x10 bedroom, that's 100 sq-ft but only 40 linear foot. A 20x20 living room is 400 sq-ft but only 80 linear foot. I think I spent no more than $1000 in molding materials for doors/windows casings, baseboards, wainscotting, chair rails, & crown. This is for a house that's bigger than yours as well.

Submitted by LAAFTERHOURS on April 28, 2011 - 1:16pm.

jimmyle wrote:
I am thinking about adding crown molding to my newly painted kitchen and family room. How much does it cost per linear foot (material + labor)? And can you recommend a good (skilled/trusworthy/affordable) contractor in San Diego?

I was thinking about doing myself but the high ceiling and angles in my house make it very difficult.

Thanks,

Didnt originally see those images. How tall are your ceilings? Thats some sweet looking mint green on those walls. Looks like the green on the family truckster Family TrucksterFamily Truckster

Submitted by jimmyle on April 28, 2011 - 1:51pm.

9' at the low end, 13' at the high end. Hey I like the car, it will turn heads.

LAAFTERHOURS wrote:
Didnt originally see those images. How tall are your ceilings? Thats some sweet looking mint green on those walls. Looks like the green on the family truckster Family TrucksterFamily Truckster

Submitted by bearishgurl on April 28, 2011 - 2:22pm.

jimmyle wrote:
. . . Hey I like the car, it will turn heads.

jimmyle, it comes complete with a "sideburned" driver dressed in a baby-blue leisure suit :=]

Submitted by njtosd on April 29, 2011 - 3:47am.

bearishgurl wrote:

jimmyle, it comes complete with a "sideburned" driver dressed in a baby-blue leisure suit :=]

You know that's Chevy Chase in Vacation, right . . ?

Submitted by sdnerd on March 8, 2012 - 9:27pm.

I know the thread is a bit old; but anyone have any recent recommendations for crown molding?

I'm looking for the basic 6" materials, painted, installed in the $4-5/ft range.

Economy must not be too bad; I can't get any contractors to even call me back (not even mentioning price, etc).

Submitted by ocrenter on March 8, 2012 - 11:53pm.

sdnerd wrote:
I know the thread is a bit old; but anyone have any recent recommendations for crown molding?

I'm looking for the basic 6" materials, painted, installed in the $4-5/ft range.

Economy must not be too bad; I can't get any contractors to even call me back (not even mentioning price, etc).

Have not tried this yet, thinking about ordering from them. Anyone with experience with this one?

http://www.sosimplecrown.com/

Submitted by jwizzle on March 9, 2012 - 9:59am.

I got a good recommendation here for someone who specializes in crown molding. He actually did my baseboards, so I can't personally attest to crown, but he definitely did a good job on a very expedited timeframe. PM me for his details.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.