4S Ranch Homes or Carmel Valley

User Forum Topic
Submitted by asegal on January 15, 2013 - 6:27pm

Dear Piggington readers,

I'm looking to buy a home in the 4S Ranch(92127) or Carmel Valley community, but like many, have been coming across zilch in today's low level inventory market.

Huge fan of 4S Ranch, particularly the Davidson built homes in Talavera. If you or someone you know is interested in a private sale... please let me know by reaching out to alex.segal11@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Alex

Submitted by earlyretirement on January 15, 2013 - 6:42pm.

I'm not a big fan of 4S Ranch but the area is great. The inventory levels are horrible so I agree with you there. What price range are you looking at?

Carmel Valley (92130) is going to be more expensive vs. 4S Ranch and some of the communities are really horrible with almost no lots at all or houses so close all your neighbors can see inside of your house (think Pacific Highlands Ranch).

I'm really glad I bought when I did in mid 2011 as the inventory is really horrible now.

What price point are you looking at?

Submitted by asegal on January 16, 2013 - 6:05pm.

sort of out of options... I agree with you about CV but a gem pops up once in a while. It's definitely been a while since I've seen one and they are usually significantly pricier. 92127 corridor is full of mello-roos ranging from a few hundred to well over $1K p/month. That's another $100K borrowing power for buyers. I've seen nice homes sell in the mid-800s to low 900s so I'm open to consideration there in low mello areas. You definitely caught the sweet spot in 2011. Sellers are pricing too aggressively right now charged by early signs of recovery and low inventory. If things don't shape up, I'll have to get comfortable renting. :)

Submitted by Essbee on January 16, 2013 - 11:50pm.

I actually live in 4S Ranch, in the Talavera by Davidson area that you mention. We moved here last April and love it. I think you get a lot for your money in this area. 9 years old, ~3800-4100 sq feet for ~$800-900K, with generally very nice hardscape and landscaping. The only thing I would change is that I would like more little kids to move in... I have very young kids, but the majority of the kids are middle school/HS age (probably because this section was built in 2003). My little ones need some future playmates!

We have a great view of Black Mountain, but I am envious of those on the canyon rim. I think there is only one Talavera home for sale at present, at least according to zillow. But maybe if you keep your eyes and ears open, something else will open up?

Are you trying to do a private sale to avoid realtor fees?

Submitted by flu on January 17, 2013 - 11:58am.

Please buy in 4s. So there's no additional demand in CarmelV....

Don't live in CarmelV and don't live in Mira Mesa. Both places are not worth the price.

Submitted by AN on January 17, 2013 - 12:11pm.

flu wrote:
Please buy in 4s. So there's no additional demand in CarmelV....

Don't live in CarmelV and don't live in Mira Mesa. Both places are not worth the price.


Especially the West side of both Carmel Valley and Mira Mesa. Both are way over priced now.

Submitted by ocrenter on January 17, 2013 - 5:14pm.

AN wrote:
flu wrote:
Please buy in 4s. So there's no additional demand in CarmelV....

Don't live in CarmelV and don't live in Mira Mesa. Both places are not worth the price.


Especially the West side of both Carmel Valley and Mira Mesa. Both are way over priced now.

maybe consider SkyRanch, I heard something about 10 minutes to La Jolla...

Submitted by earlyretirement on January 18, 2013 - 1:49pm.

asegal wrote:
sort of out of options... I agree with you about CV but a gem pops up once in a while. It's definitely been a while since I've seen one and they are usually significantly pricier. 92127 corridor is full of mello-roos ranging from a few hundred to well over $1K p/month. That's another $100K borrowing power for buyers. I've seen nice homes sell in the mid-800s to low 900s so I'm open to consideration there in low mello areas. You definitely caught the sweet spot in 2011. Sellers are pricing too aggressively right now charged by early signs of recovery and low inventory. If things don't shape up, I'll have to get comfortable renting. :)

Yeah. I agree there are some gems sometimes but they seem to go very quickly. Yep, 92127 is full of Mello Roos taxes. I pre-paid both Mello Roos taxes last year so it's good to be done with them. Paid off both the Poway USD and Santaluz CDF's and it was a good feeling to pay them off.

I agree 2011 was a good time to buy. Inventory wasn't so hot but at least there were several options to choose from. That's far from the case today.

I haven't seen all of the developments over in 4S Ranch as I haven't looked since 2011 but definitely Davidson makes some great houses. Our house is a Davidson and I'm really happy with the quality minus a few very small things.

For example, I was really surprised when we bought that they didn't put ceiling lights in all the bedrooms. You'd think on semi-custom homes they would have done that but it sounds like here in California that is more common here. So we put in ceiling lights in all the rooms. It wasn't a big deal on the 2nd floor but I didn't realize putting in ceiling lights required so much work on bottom floor levels.

Also, the toilets throughout the house were "contractor specials" type toilets. Very low end. I ended up changing out all 5 toilets for Toto higher end toilets.

All in all I'm really happy and I'm thrilled with the house and the area is great as well. What I like is you're far enough inland to get the great sunny weather but avoid the higher temperatures of Poway and that area.

Sometimes when I leave the house and visit my friends in Poway the car registered a full 12 degrees more. And sometimes when it's bright blue skies and sunny I'll take the 10 minute car ride to Del Mar and it will be cloudy.

asegal, did you check out the Maricel development properties at all? I drive by there all the time. I'm not sure of price points but Davidson is the builder on them I believe. I think it's still 92130 there. I thought I saw signs that said from the $700s?

Submitted by asegal on January 20, 2013 - 12:56am.

Thanks for your feedback. Interesting you should ask about Maricel... I've stopped there a few times to weigh my options. This community like everywhere else has pros and cons. It's a nice little enclave of homes but I'm not in love with them.

Pros: Davidson built, looks nice for most objective viewers, new, next door to carmel valley, gated (if that matters), priced reasonably IMO. Price quotes are of base models with no major upgrades or views and dirt front/back yards.

The disadvantages: lacks community feel, fees don't buy you anything, no parks or open space for kids to enjoy, nothing within walking distance where you'd actually care to walk to, open floor plan which means family room, kitchen, living room, and dining room are all in one room in shape of an L. This appears to be the new trend, but I haven't adjusted to it. All but 3 houses are sold out in the current phase and all the view homes (models for example sell for $1.1 or more). That said there's still opportunity if one doesn't mind their backyard backing onto Carmel Valley Rd.

Still waiting for the "this is it" feeling...

what do you guys think is driving up home values? Is this temporary or the new norm?

Submitted by earlyretirement on January 20, 2013 - 12:09pm.

asegal,

Ah ok.I'm glad you checked out Maricel. I was curious about them. I didn't know it was a gated community.

I'm not sure what your maximum budget is but did you check out any homes in Santaluz? I'm not sure what is/isn't on the market but I noticed this one just got an offer but it was on the market for a few months. It will be interesting to see what it sold for.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/14418...

The guy bought it near the top of the bubble back in October 2007 so I'm curious to see what it sells for.

Santaluz is great if you have kids. And some of the houses we looked at were highly upgraded. I'm not sure what is on the market there but it would be worth checking out. The community is AWESOME to live in if you have kids. We absolutely love it here. (I'll send you a PM).

Also, there are some nice houses in Verrazzano as well. It's not gated there but it's really nice and great parks there if you have kids. HOA fees I believe are lower there since it's not gated.

The prices going up I think is just from lack of inventory. There isn't anything too special on the market now. It was kind of tight back in 2011 but NOTHING like now. We are so glad we bought when we did.

Submitted by cvmom on January 21, 2013 - 8:38am.

I would say the only reason to buy in CV over other areas is the quality of the public schools. I can't speak for the elementary schools but I am very impressed with the middle and high schools. There are a lot of very academically-focused students, which has its plusses and minuses, but I think it is mostly plusses.

As soon as our kids are out of school, we plan to move out of CV. Not huge fans of soulless suburbia...but we think it has been the right choice to raise our kids.

Submitted by earlyretirement on January 21, 2013 - 9:58am.

cvmom wrote:
I would say the only reason to buy in CV over other areas is the quality of the public schools. I can't speak for the elementary schools but I am very impressed with the middle and high schools. There are a lot of very academically-focused students, which has its plusses and minuses, but I think it is mostly plusses.

As soon as our kids are out of school, we plan to move out of CV. Not huge fans of soulless suburbia...but we think it has been the right choice to raise our kids.

I agree cvmom. I think the main reason why many families buy in that area are the wonderful schools in the area. That's what got us even looking in that area is the school system.

The weather is pretty darn good as well plus you are just minutes from the beaches in Del Mar. That is a big plus as well.

Submitted by cvmom on January 21, 2013 - 11:36am.

earlyretirement wrote:
cvmom wrote:
I would say the only reason to buy in CV over other areas is the quality of the public schools. I can't speak for the elementary schools but I am very impressed with the middle and high schools. There are a lot of very academically-focused students, which has its plusses and minuses, but I think it is mostly plusses.

As soon as our kids are out of school, we plan to move out of CV. Not huge fans of soulless suburbia...but we think it has been the right choice to raise our kids.

I agree cvmom. I think the main reason why many families buy in that area are the wonderful schools in the area. That's what got us even looking in that area is the school system.

The weather is pretty darn good as well plus you are just minutes from the beaches in Del Mar. That is a big plus as well.

Yes, the weather is pretty good--usually don't get the fog of Del Mar but also don't get the heat of inland. But for us, we are really not beach people, only go a few times a year. Pathetic...

Submitted by joec on January 21, 2013 - 8:58pm.

Was wondering about this...Would it be "better" / "easier" to get to a top university/school if everyone in your high school isn't as TOP/Overachieving?

Like I would assume if everyone from the top CV high school applies to say Stanford, they aren't going to take a ton of people from the same school right?

Course, it doesn't mean they'll take someone from the lower high school neither, but I'm assuming the admissions will start getting glassed eyed after reading about the 7th Nguyen student from the same CV school and why they should be admitted...

Submitted by SK in CV on January 21, 2013 - 9:14pm.

joec wrote:
Was wondering about this...Would it be "better" / "easier" to get to a top university/school if everyone in your high school isn't as TOP/Overachieving?

Like I would assume if everyone from the top CV high school applies to say Stanford, they aren't going to take a ton of people from the same school right?

Course, it doesn't mean they'll take someone from the lower high school neither, but I'm assuming the admissions will start getting glassed eyed after reading about the 7th Nguyen student from the same CV school and why they should be admitted...

Great question. At least some of the UC's do have limits of how many kids they'll accept from the same high school. My daughter was accepted at every top school (public and private) in California (and some top private schools out of state) except for UCLA. She was told by the admissions department that they'd already accepted their limit from TP. I have no idea about private schools like Stanford. She was accepted, but chose otherwise.

I doubt it would be a problem for many out of state schools, it's just not that likely that there would be that many kids applying from a particular school. That's just a guess.

On the other hand, would a not so good school provide as good of an environment to get into one of the top schools? Maybe for some kids it wouldn't matter. For others, I think the quality of the high school really does matter.

Submitted by cvmom on January 22, 2013 - 1:50pm.

joec wrote:
Was wondering about this...Would it be "better" / "easier" to get to a top university/school if everyone in your high school isn't as TOP/Overachieving?

Like I would assume if everyone from the top CV high school applies to say Stanford, they aren't going to take a ton of people from the same school right?

Course, it doesn't mean they'll take someone from the lower high school neither, but I'm assuming the admissions will start getting glassed eyed after reading about the 7th Nguyen student from the same CV school and why they should be admitted...

Yes, I have considered this question as well. However, for my family, I think the best decision we could have made is to go for the best/most competitive school possible.

My kid does very well in school, gets all A's without having to try much. So at a less-competitive high school, I think it is likely he would be coasting a bit, patting himself on the back for being at the top of the class. However, at CCA (similar to Torrey Pines and to CVMS), there are lots of other kids also getting all A's, plus doing lots and lots of other extra-curricular academically-challenging stuff, as well as sports, volunteer work, etc. This environment has been unbelievably motivating for my kid and I am just amazed at how hard he now works, mostly on extra-curricular academic stuff that he finds to be intriguing and rewarding.

So I think (for some kids at least) the upsides of the stimulating and motivational peer environment at one of these top middle- or high-schools definitely outweighs the downsides of colleges having too large of a pool to choose from.

Submitted by flu on January 22, 2013 - 2:02pm.

cvmom wrote:
joec wrote:
Was wondering about this...Would it be "better" / "easier" to get to a top university/school if everyone in your high school isn't as TOP/Overachieving?

Like I would assume if everyone from the top CV high school applies to say Stanford, they aren't going to take a ton of people from the same school right?

Course, it doesn't mean they'll take someone from the lower high school neither, but I'm assuming the admissions will start getting glassed eyed after reading about the 7th Nguyen student from the same CV school and why they should be admitted...

Yes, I have considered this question as well. However, for my family, I think the best decision we could have made is to go for the best/most competitive school possible.

My kid does very well in school, gets all A's without having to try much. So at a less-competitive high school, I think it is likely he would be coasting a bit, patting himself on the back for being at the top of the class. However, at CCA (similar to Torrey Pines and to CVMS), there are lots of other kids also getting all A's, plus doing lots and lots of other extra-curricular academically-challenging stuff, as well as sports, volunteer work, etc. This environment has been unbelievably motivating for my kid and I am just amazed at how hard he now works, mostly on extra-curricular academic stuff that he finds to be intriguing and rewarding.

So I think (for some kids at least) the upsides of the stimulating and motivational peer environment at one of these top middle- or high-schools definitely outweighs the downsides of colleges having too large of a pool to choose from.

I think it would be easier just to change your last name.

Submitted by cvmom on January 22, 2013 - 2:53pm.

flu wrote:
I think it would be easier just to change your last name.

To/from an Asian-sounding one? Or what is the point I am missing?

Submitted by AN on January 22, 2013 - 2:55pm.

cvmom wrote:
flu wrote:
I think it would be easier just to change your last name.

To/from an Asian-sounding one? Or what is the point I am missing?


From...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.